You are here

Canon HV40 external audio

musicpeopleinc's picture

Hello,
We are using a Canon Vixia HV40 HDV video camera and a Sennheiser ew100 G3 System with camera mount receiver attached to the accessory shoe. Weare usinga right-angle stereo-to-stereo cable to plug the camera mount receiver into the Camera. However, when we plug our headphones into the AV output on the camera, we can only hear the audio in one ear. The AV output settings are changed to headphones, and we checked the audio output channels on the camera to make sure L/Ris selected. We also hear the audio out of only one of the speakers when playing back the video on our media player. The Sennheiser unit also comes with a Stereo-to-XLR cable, which we could then try a beachtek adapter to plug the Sennheiser into the adapter, thenconnect the adapter to the camera, just to see what happens. But would this solve the problem, and even if it does, do we need to add anohter device into the chain? Wouldn't we be able to use the sennheiser as-is, record on one trackand split the audio in post using our NLE? What are the pro's and cons? Just trying to learn from the experience of others who have done this before, before we do our own trial-and-error. Thanks!

hmueller's picture

I use the Canon HV40 with a wireless mic. Then one has to copy the audio afterwards in Premiere Pro to the other track. It is no hassle really. I have a stereo shotgun that I also use from time time but the sound is not as good.

XTR-91's picture

A regular 3.5mm cable is not balanced.

So converting it to XLR , running it 1/2 ft., and then back again won't make much of a difference. The less parts you have in your connection, normally the better.