You are here

Canon HF100 - AVCHD format vs. Editing Software and performance

Lasereye's picture

I am going crazy here. I am pinned to the floor!

I think I put myself not only the bleeding edge of software technology- but on its very sharp sword tip!

Pulling the blade out of its sheath
Bought a Canon HF100 - Loved the camera - size, picture, quality - extra features - no tape required! (Wow)

Running my finger across the blade
Got a nasty cut - when I found out my editing software (Avid Liquid 7.2) would not edit AVCHD format.

Riding the tip of the blade while hurdling to the floor
Started my search on the Internet - looking for video editing software that would work natively with AVCHD format. Received disappointing results in my search and trials- (jerky video, freezes, loooong convesion times, limited editing) - tried software from Sony, Pinnacle, Corel with similar disappointing results. I even considered Adobe with poor results for a while(came to conclusion, way to expensive and complicated - plus - software suffers from "window's "pop-disease" - got to pop open a new window everytime you want todo something- they should be paying me to use it!). Even tried conversion software to convert AVCHD to a usable format -still no satisfaction.

Nowhere I am,pinned to the floor with the bleeding edge of technology through my body - waiting for AVCHD video editing software that works natively with the AVCHD format with no jerks, freezes and stops.

QUESTION: Can or has anyone (who is not affiliated with a manufacturer - I'm looking for real life user) had proven success (with great performance and no glitches)with your Video Editing software (or conversion software) which works natively with AVCHD fileswith speed, accuracy and knock-your-socks-off performance? If so, please, share with me thesoftware, the PC you are using and the configuration. I am loosing blood fast - help heal a poor soul who needs you success to keep going!

Best Regards,

Ken
Ken's picture

Lasereye,

I have no experience with AVCHD, but I've seen posts on this and other forums saying that Sony Vegas works fine with AVCHD. (Not sure if they meant the Pro version or the consumer version.) Since Sony makes some AVCHD camcorders, they are highly motivated to support AVCHD in their editors.

Ken

Johnboy's picture

you need to have a truly top of the line computer in order to edit avchd with no stutters or pops. Sony's Vegas Pro will edit avchd. You may need to work with intermediaries for editing and use the original footage for rendering.

John

chrisColorado's picture

Isee you tried Sony already, but you didn't say which software you tried, Vegas Pro or Vegas Movie Studio. I have edited AVCHD a little bit, but the computer my boss had at the time wasn't quite powerful enough, so we switched to shooting only SD footage.

We used a PC running Windows XP (Home Edition, I believe) with Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum.My experience tells me that thelatest version of Sony Vegas Pro (version 8) should have no problems at all. Windows Vista didn't work very well with Vegas for most people i've talked to - including me.

NOTE: If you only tried a demo version of the software, that is basically asking for trouble. Also, Vegas works differently from other software, so it would probably be very easy to mess yourself up that way if you only know Avid. Vegas, for instance doesn't import footage the same way other software does. This is aconcern if you're using AVCHD in my opinion. I personally love Vegas.

Let us know if you still need help with something, and good luck. chris

shippocaio's picture

Well, i use Sony Vegas Pro 8, and i don't have any problems editing AVCHD footage.

shippocaio's picture

BTW, i use Windows Vista Ultimate, with a AMD athlon x2 (dual core) of 2.6 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, and an HD of 500GB. It works perfectly!

Tomsde's picture

I have a 2.4 Gig Quad Core processor with 3 gigs ram, and am running Windows XP home edition. For the most part I have been able to edit small movies with Pinnacle Studio and Sony Vegas Movie Studio Premium Pro with little problem. In Pinnacle Studio background video rendering is slooooow, but it eventually gets the job done. I don't know how working with larger projects will be. Vegas Movie Studio is very responsive, so I expect that Vegas Pro 8 would work well also. I have the Canon Vixia HF10 (which works with flash media and internal flash). I purchased AVCHD Upshift from New Blue FX to help handle these files, but I really haven't had to use it. Pinnacle Studio can't open the converted files, but Vegas can. You might want to try to download the trial and see if Avid Liquid can use the converted files. I was able to open the files in Vegas Movie Studio 8 without a hitch (the version of the program I have is not supposed to be able to use AVCHD files at all--but it can read the .mts files that the converter makes). I have seen no degradation of image quality in the converted clips--but they using the best quality settings they can end up being bigger than the original compressed files.

My advice to you would be to download trials and see how things perform on your system to see what will work best for you. It is a shame that the crappy Pixella Mixer software that Canon bundles with the cameras can't do more things. I rarely purchase software without using the trial versions first, when I haven't I've regretted it because as you know, software is usually not returnable.