You are here

Canon GL2 vs XL1S

gordyh1's picture

Hi everyone,

i am looking to buy my first prosumer/ professional camcorder and these 2 camcorders have come up a lot.

I will mainly be using it for school work.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which one i should get?

Thanks

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

The technology, circuitry, engineering and design of the GL2 actually makes it superior to the XL1 or XL1s with the ONLY serious exception being the ability to use interchangeable lenses with the XL series. Had I known then what I know now I would have saved myself megabucks and purchased THREE GL2 units instead of one GL2 and two XL1 units because I never really NEEDED to change lenses and I never saw my way clear to purchase the very expensive alternative lens choices to do so. My GL2 is my main unit of this setup, and the XL1 units are second cam and backup. I do have to say Canon lenses are vastly superior to much of the other comparably priced SD units out there, and would even hold up well (lens quality wise) to many of the high definition choices available in a similar price range. Realizing, of course, that I'm talking about apples and oranges there.

gdaley76's picture
Plus Member

I would agree with EarlC. I love my GL2 and prefer the ease of use as well and the portability. The downside for me is it is not 16:9 and that would make it perfect. With the cost of HD TV's being so low, my clients prefer to be shot with what fits their screens.