You are here

Canon 60Dfor Wedding and Events Videos?

gonz67's picture

I am a mid-level wedding and event videographer, and my trusty GL2 needs to be put out to pasture. I am interested in the film look I have been seeing online with DLSR cameras, and am seriously looking at the Canon D60. A few concerns I am hoping people here can address for me.

1. Low Light: If I video it at a 1/30 shutter speed and use an on-camera light, can I avoid grainy videos? I was told if you get a lens with a large aperture you can get more light on the chip alos? I tried shooting with the Sony 1000 (shoulder mounted) and it was a disaster. Could never get good lowlight footage from it. And most of my events are in dark halls.
  2. I will not shoot in HD, but DV. (Or is that SD?) How many minutes will I get at that resolution? I understand the FAT files will have a limit.
  3. Do I have to convert the files to edit in iMovie HD or the newer version of it?

I do appreciate any feedback you can give me!

raiansan's picture

60D can handle low light depending on the lens. The faster the Lens, the more light will be allow in the camera and you can use lower ISO. There are also option for Dim able LED on camera mount that you can use for fill lights and also those can be the main light cause it's bright depends on which one you buy. Why would you shoot in SD anymore? I guess to each it's own but you can always shoot in HD and convert it back to SD. If you use 16g SDHC card and shoot in SD, you should get at least 2 hours. I get about an hour on 16g full 1080p. If you don't care much about HD, at least shoot it in 720p and you should shoot about 2 hours. There's a limit for continuous shooting though, I think 15 minutes then it stop and you can hit record again.

You should use a wide angle lens, 28mm or less since 60D is a crop camera by 1.6. So let's say your lens is 20mm, time that by 1.6 it'll be 32mm. You should get one of the prime lens that has aperture f/2.0 or lower. Or you can get a Tamron lens which is reasonable price that is zoom 17-50mm f/2.8 If you shoot dark hall all day then find one at 1.8 or 1.4. The 1.4 and 1.2 is super pricey unless you get the 50mm 1.4 but then 50mm you will feel cramped and can't shoot wedding with.

I'm curious that you do wedding but you don't shoot in HD, people still want SD now and days? I know some people will want the vintage look but most people and days prefer HD.

XTR-91's picture

"I think 15 minutes then it stop and you can hit record again."

I new file has to be created for each 15 minutes of time recording. I doubt you have to press the record button again.

Steve4900's picture
Plus Member

Hi,

As a wedding Videographer who uses the 60d, here's my two pence worth. Firstly, shoot at full resolution (1080p) then downgrade in software. One of the big drawbacks of DSLRs for video is Moire. Basically the camera's softening filter that reduces moire has been set for 18mp resolution. Since the camera records video not by down sampling, but by missing pixels, details like walls, speaker grids and even the detail on the grooms jacket can trigger this. Shooting at 720p only makes this phenomenon more likely because it uses even less pixels. By all means shoot at 720p if you want the 50fps, but be aware of the shortcomings. I tend to edit in a 720p workspace in my editing software, downsizing the video from 1080p, which gives me some room to adjust composition and frame out certain things I feel are distracting, without losing quality. I then output to SD quality for DVD, whilst outputting the 720p video as a digital copy, which using the m4v file format fits nicely on a DVD data disk. Gives the couple the option for viewing it as an HD file in the future.

Secondly regarding lens, you'll need a maximum aperture of 2.8 on all lens ideally, unless outdoor filming outweighs indoors. As already suggested the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is a very good lens from experience. I also suggest a Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens, plus a 70-200 2.8 for an initial selection of lens, adding more as you feel you need them. Canon have their own lens but at greater cost, and you have to ask yourself whether that cost can be justified if you're working to a budget. Though I've got some great footage from a Canon 1.8 budget lens and serves me well for some indoor video. In fact so well, I hardly ever need dip into my lights, which is good as it keeps my setup simple, and is better for the guests and couple too as they don't have a bright light shining in their faces.

Thirdly, it is always a good idea to convert the footage to a more editing friendly file format. Not essential if you have the Adobe Premiere CS5 as it supports the DSLR video, but for other software I understand this is more necessary. Do a google search and you should find suitable software for the job - some of it free.

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

gonz -- Canon DSLRs such as the 60D can produce great "film like" images. But they have their limitations. The 12 minute/4GB file limitation is real -- and you do have to hit the record button every time you exceed it, because the camera will stop recording. And moire is a real issue too. Here is what happens when you try to shoot a shingled roof (or a brick wall) with a 60D:

http://vimeo.com/20565849

And here is what happens when you try to shoot patterned fabrics (like wedding dresses):

http://vimeo.com/21962491

Moire, shot duration limits and lack of autofocus in video mode are the reasons why I traded my$750 Canon T2i(same sensor as the $1000 60D) for a$1000 Panasonic GH2.

But, no matter which high-def DSLR-type interchangeable lens camera you get, there are a couple of other things that you'll miss from your old standard-def GL2:

- no headphone jack for audio monitoring

- no VU meters for audio

- no power zoom

Lots of wedding videographers "shoot around" these issues, but it's better to know about them before you buy a large sensor, DSLR form-factor camera, in my view.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com

gonz67's picture

<span style="font-size: 8.5pt; color: #333333; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';">First, I want to thank everyone for their feedback! This forum still has some juice in it. :) For those that asked me why no HD, I have a $650.00 package, and the people at that price point just don't ask for HD. Saying that, maybe this could be an opportunity to start offering that as a package! (HD projects.) I want to thank the Hybrid Camera Revolution for letting me in on the GH2. No file size limit and no/to little moire! Panasonic lens options are few and inexpensive, but I will work around that.<o:p></o:p></span>

doublehamm's picture

Well, I attended my wife's cousin's wedding last weekend. Unfortunately they did not hire me due to a deal made with their photographer :( They got a package deal via referral apparently. ANYHOW - the videography company they did use shot 100% on 60Ds - the website is http://www.myguymedia.com/ if you want to check some of the videos out. I am curious to see the final results from this particular wedding, as the reception venue was incredibly dark and they refused to use any lighting for speeches, table shots, decoration shots etc - not even the first dance. With the naked eye you could barely make anything out... They did turn on a flood light on the dance floor for some basic dance footage - so it is not like they did not have a light available. Anyhow - after seeing the reception venue, I had a cynical grin being glad I didn't have to deal with the lighting. Still waiting on samples of the final product!

D0n
D0n's picture

I dare say it.... d-slrs for wedding work is not the best plan.

A d-slr with a good video cam is an unbeatable combination IF the shooter is adept at multimedia shooting and can switch hit between cameras and know how to use each to it's best abilities, or you got one d-slr shooter and one video shooter that work together well.

You need a plan and a shot list and you need to know when to use the d-slr and when not to. You have to have a vision for how the finished product will look...

on two to six camera multi-cam wedding shoots shooting stills and video to make a multimedia presentation, you don't get second chances, or re-takes...

Anonymous (not verified)

As a 60D user myself and a previous Sony HD1000u like Gonz67, there is no comparison whatsoever, the 60D wins hands down. We use to haul so much equipment, specially our lighting equipment, to the ceremony and reception that it was such a burden trying to light dark churches and reception hall, not to mention the set up (1000 w in soft boxes on 12ft stands) Now, wejust use fast lenses ( fromf/1.4to f/2.8) and minimal use our portable Sony HVL lights (on a light stand ) and boom easier to run and gun and the footage is immaculate compared to our old video camera...As for HD to SD, we shoot and editfull 1080p (withPPro CS5) and then downconvert to SD for DVD. As a PC user ,not really sure with Mac apps but from what i understand you'd have to use ProRes to convert your 60D files to a more edit friendly file.

Cheers!

dellwovideo's picture

Someone had mentioned pairing an HDSLR like the D60 to a camcorder and I couldn't agree more.

Use the camcorder to get a single master shot as well as your primary audio. Then you cansynch up the HDSLR video and edit away. Then you don't have to worry about that couple of seconds you lose restarting the camera at the end of 12 minutes.

I'm sure you've already purchased by now, but forothers,consider saving a few bucks and getting the T3i. It's a slightly better video camera can the D60 (and the D60 is a slightly better still camera.) Not becausethe images are better either way(I think they're going to be basically identical,) but rather becausethe T3ihas better audio functions. It also has a 3x-10x digital zoom although I wouldn't go beyond 3x unless I had to.

One drawback of the HDSRL lens is this though - if you're used to a 16x or 20x zoom from your camcorder, you won't find thathere. The zoom ratio's tend to be much smaller in all but the most expensive lenses. However, you can get an 18-200 kit lens with the d60. And that's not bad.

aikidoka's picture

An 18-200 kit lens is too slow for weddings...maybe for outdoors but indoors the minimum would be f2.8 for better picture quality and that is with a max 800 ISO. If you want a zoom lens then use the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 or the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8. For darker receptions we use lenses in the 1.4 to 1.8 aperture range.

williamsmith518's picture

Use the camcorder to get a single master shot as well as your primary
audio. Then you cansynch up the HDSLR video and edit away. Then you
don't have to worry about that couple of seconds you lose restarting the
camera at the end of 12 minutes.

-------------------------------------
[URL=http://www.travestibestmodel.net/]Travesti[/URL]

stace's picture

I just bought a 60d and was skeptical about using it at a paid gig. I brought it along with my canon xha1 and b cameras. Decided to shoot some Pre-cermony stuff with it and walk around a bit at the reception with it. I just switched to my xha1 when something critical was happening like the first dance and the cake cutting and speeches. I have a canon 1.4 50 mm and the footage was incredible! using a led litepannel it basically lit up the whole room for the 60d. The lite pannel on the xha1 i have to be wide open and consider a bit of gain but not with the 60d.