You are here

Can some body help a new director please ?

Shadow Fang's picture

So Hi, I am young adult (18) who is in the UK and wants to become a Movie director. Know I am fully aware it can't just happen like that, you have be unique,creative and hard working to make it far in this career. I am going to UNI know and am StudyingNeuroscience, because my parents wanted me to study that, so I wanted to make them proud. My parents are not aware that I want to be a movie director because I never told them, because it will sound stupid to them, but it is my dream since I was a kid and I am willing to do any thing to become one, but how is my question. A lot of people say, you should go film school, but I personally think film school is a waste of money and time, I might end up jobless after and wont have no income and will end up working as awaiter, trying to pay my debt of, or is itactuallyhelpful and I amwrong about Film School. How and what can I do to start my career should I write a script and submit it, should I go some where and find small work and work my up there, should I try to make my own short movie ordocumentary, really what should I do ??

Just to to finish this off-
Should I go Film school or not?If so what kind of Coarse should I take to help become a film director ?

How do I start a career in film directing, with a degree in Science ?
What is the bestequipmenta begginer should buy to start his career in film directing?

I know it is long, but to all of you who help me, Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Shadow Fang's picture

Sorry for my mistake in grammar andpunctuation, I am not this bad normally I am just in a rush sorry : )

Charles Schultz's picture

Well Shadow fang, your are starting in the right place here on VM. You do not have to go to film school to start a career in producing videos, there are a lot of good information here that you can sink your teeth into. A good place to start ishttp://www.videomaker.com/learn/ In addition, you may want to check out the web training classes they have here as well. You can learn, using your camera, lighting, editing, and more for a reasonable amount of money. Not to mention, these forums has a vast amount of information on them.

I hope this helps.

Shadow Fang's picture

Thank you Charles, I decided to take Media and computing, instead of Physics andBiology, so those could help me break into the film industry and I have maths and Chem as back up , and yes this site is really help full, a lot of good information here.

Thank you

Woody Sanford's picture
Plus Member

If you want to "Direct" film, I would absolutely go to film school. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about what film school is and of course all of them differ from each other. If you are looking to become a After effects guru, film school isn't the place to go. There are a lot of things in the video and even film world that are not taught in film school but if you are interested in "Directing" I'd say the different jobs you learn in school will get you on that track faster.

I wouldn't over look jobs like colorist and such though, if you're good at math you can really take on the specifics of color or CG effects and get paid quite well.

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

My father was a high school principal who made a statement in a commencement speech that I've never forgotten. He said that college, university, technical school, etc., was a short cut; that you can learn through trial and error on your own or take advantage of the knowledge and experience of others and go to school. Either route gets you to the same place eventually, but going to school shortens the learning process.

Directing, whether for the stage or film, is a complex activity which requires an intimate knowledge of all the technical and artistic elements that go into production. You don't have to be able to light a scene, paint scenery or spec out a prime lens, but good directors understand the roles of all the people with whom they work, how to communicate with these people and how to make suggestions for fixing aesthetic problems that occur during production.

One of the primary responsibilities of the director is working with actors to develop the roles they play. This requires training in the interpretation of scripts, in script doctoring, and in human psychology, this last to understand characters in the script and to work with actors in creating characters that dramatize these psychologies.

My own path to becoming a professional director began with four years of study and apprenticeship in stage directing; several years working as a stage manager, during which time I worked under numerous stage and film directors; and finally a return to school for a year of advanced study and production work, both in stage and television directing. Looking back on it now, 45 years later, I don't think I would do it any differently if I had the chance. In addition to learning the fundamentals of the art and craft, I was privileged to work under many who had achieved mastery of these and learn from them.

Jack

VideOccasions

D0n
D0n's picture

I have invented a new job.

Set Ninja.

Job description:
if I ever make a cutty throaty motion accross my neck with my pointy finger... the set ninja is expected to pop out of nowhere and kill whomever just pissed me off then disappear out of my frame so as to not ruin my shot.
I'll reimburse for as many throwing stars as you need, but must supply own katana...
please forward resume to....

paulears's picture

Despite being a former Media and communications teacher, and later performing arts and music teacher, I'd have to say that if you are good at science - Physics and Biology - the career prospects for jobs in those areas beat that in the media, which is (certainly here in the UK) hugely oversubscribed and jobs few. Success seems to rely on luck mainly. You could get a really well paid job, and invest money in decent kit and become a good amateur filmmaker as a hobby and really enjoy it. Getting to be a well paid, well respected director will be very difficult - and you will be up against thousands of people - even just in your own state, or maybe even city!

The arts is cash poor. The sciences cash rich. Maybe dull and even boring, but earning potential so much higher.

Are your natural skills already existing in science? If so - how good could you be after university?

As a production person I say be a director. As a realist, I'm not so sure!

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Shadow,

Of any member I am probably the most qualified to answer your question. First off, I've traveled the very road you're staring down. I was a Zoology Major (Genetics Emphasis) and got through my first semester of my Senior Year before I realized I wasn't willing to spend my life in the lab no matter how good I was (am) at the Sciences. I followed my original passion and transferred over to Fine Arts and went through the Fine Arts Drawing/Painting Dept. In the meantime, I knew I was going to need to do crazy things like 'eat' and 'pay rent' so I took additional courses in Graphic Design and Sculpture. I figured I could use the knowledge I already had as a medical illustrator and the wood working, welding skills I picked up from sculpture came in handy later.

After graduation, I did all kinds of stuff but eventually got into photography and then filmmaking during my Military Service. After which I went to filmschool to augment my professional experience. So now, all that knowledge from the different fields of study, learning good research techniques and writing constantly aid me in my production work.

So I ask, 'are you good at the sciences, complex math and the other areas of study that will lead to a successful career in Neuroscience? Are you ready and willing to dedicate your life to the years if not decades of research and lab work that will be required?' If you answered 'yes' to either or both those questions, then I say stick to what you're doing and finish. You can always change course afterward. If you said 'no' to either or both questions, then you better know that being a film director is not a job per se. Nobody just rolls in and directs even if their mommy or daddy owns a studio.

You'll have to learn the craft of filmmaking which entails dozens of jobs. You won't have to be expert in any of them (but it helps to have mastered at least one), but you'll need to have a clear and working knowledge of how each job functions. You'll also need to understand how the business end works as well. Most directors these days get there by producing their own films and working their way into larger and larger productions. You'll need to know the gear and how it all works, have a good sense of visual and audio design, you'll need strong management skills in addition to self-discipline in order to bring in projects on-time and on-budget. You'll also need psychology and social skills to forge and motivate teams of professionals to bring your visions to life within the guidelines you set down. Most important, you'll need to know how to deal with actors which are the component that can and will make or break your work if you haven't mastered the skill.

The majority of people who desire to be a Director have no idea of the magnitude the job entails. Most just see it as 'the guy in charge' when it's more like, 'the person who shot their mouth off and will get their head cut off if they don't deliver'. Funny thing, I bailed on spending my life in a laboratory only to trade it for spending time in photography laboratories, being chained to an editing machine and doing just as much if not more research than I ever did in the sciences.

Either way you go, it should be the one that's best for you. Unfortunately, you're the only one who can figure that out. One thing I will say, if you decide to change and can go to film school, go. If you want to be a film or television director, go to an accredited film school program. Make sure the graduation requirement is your making a film. Many film schools only have so many students directing or working on a senior (graduate) film project. If you're not politic enough, you won't be picked to serve on the project in any position let alone as director. At best, you'll just write a script. Schools which require you to make a graduation film means your final grade comes from you making an original film (which is the whole purpose of going.) Do not go to a Communications Degree program. That is for the technical side of Broadcast TV primarily Broadcast Journalism unless that is what you want to do. In a Comm's program you'll barely learn the gear and won't make any films.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com