You are here

Can I use any Jingles from garageband for Commercial Use....

yourvideographer's picture

Hello there,
Thank you for your time and reading this.

Can I use any Jingles from garageband for Commercial Use for a Video Commercial for a small business for their website?

Thank you,
Chad

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

YourV,

Odds are quite high you will need to get permission (i.e. purchase) a license from the rights holder to do so. That's if they allow it at all. Do yourself a favor and do not use the material without permission or legal licensing.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Also, check with the Mac people, either at the website or some other official Mac source, to see what the terms of agreement for use of the Garageband jingles in personal VS commercial production. It is likely restricted, as Wolfgang says, and will require additional licensing.

If the jingle(s) are from THE garage band for whom you're doing the website video commercial or promo, and they wrote and performed the original material, and give you a signed release to use their creative property on their website, shouldn't be a problem.

Coreece's picture

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2931

From website above:

"The GarageBand software license agreement says:

GarageBand Software. You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content (Audio Content), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original music compositions or audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own music compositions or audio projects that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound effects or music beds."

So don't worry, you can make commercial music with GarageBand, you just can't distribute the loops as loops."

D0n
D0n's picture

Coreece is correct.

The only drawback is IF your Garageband music is easily recognizable you will look a little less professional.

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I cannot speak for GarageBand, but I do know that Sony's Acid has copyrighted loops available for purchase (from Sony and other sources) that need to be licensed - If you have any loops that you acquired separate from GarageBand, you would need to check the terms of your EULA (for the loops) to ensure they can be used in a commercial venture.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com