You are here

Can I burn 1080p footage to a DVD? How?

avattt's picture

I am a beginner. Our video is only seven minutes long, so I don't think actually space on the disc is an issue. The footage was shot in 1080p, and edited with Sony Vegas Pro. Is there a way to keep it at this quality? We aren't sure which options we should choose when rendering in Sony Vegas--we think MPEG2. But we tried that and then we burned it (with Windows DVD Maker) and the video was squished horizontally. What are we missing?

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

DVD is 720x480. In order to burn 1080p you need a Blue Ray disc and a software with that feature. For the video format MPEG2 DVD works best.

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

avattt's picture

Sargehero -- Thanks.

So, burning to a DVD is my only option.

So, starting with 1080p footage, we rendered our project (using Sony Vegas) as MPEG-2 under the DVD NTSC template.

We then burned with Windows DVD Maker. The quality is questionably low (even though we knew that it would be reduced). Our principle concern is that the audio is now at least a tenth of a second off.

Does the problem lie with Windows DVD Maker? Are there other options (or general tips) we should be aware to preserve some of the quality and fix the audio problem?

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

Do you have DVD Architect Studio? This one is Sony professional version of DVD authoring (it also works with Blu Ray). I read about Windows DVD Maker and it said that it support over 60 video formats. My advise is to try different video formats until you find one that works best. I would start with uncompressed AVI or WMV, setting the features at the highest possible resolution and Variable Bit Rate 2 pass encoding. I recommend investing in DVD architect Studio because it will give you a lot more options and the interphase is almost identical to Vegas.

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

Yvon Robert's picture

Hi,

I am use Magix Edit Pro 17 Plus version I can burn the AVCHD Blu-Ray on a DVD the program offer this option.

To do so you must respect 2 conditions:

1) The maximum project length is 30 minutes or less.

2) Need a Blu-Ray burner on the computer and on your TV need a Blu-Ray player.

Main advantage is the cost of media $0.50 for a DVD compare $2.50 for a Blu-Ray and more easy to find special inkjet DVD to print direct on than Blu-Ray.

Main disadvantage is poeple try to play a Blu-Ray with a regular DVD player and this not work.

How to find a solution to this problem.

I continue to burn DVD top quality to a DVD disk because if you move to quality to 14 and bit rate very high on a TV like a 50 or 52 inches the quality is about 80% of a Blu-Ray naturally B-R offer more detail and crystal colors but pusking to the maximum the DVD quality can avoid B-R media costing too much for the moment and incompatibility.

Regards,

YR

artsmith's picture

From my experience, much of the advice, given above, is very sound. Good quality mpg2 is able to foot-it with many more hyped-up formats. However, setting the variables as high as you can, makes a lot of sense. I have burned my stuff for years on the second-highest 'quality' settings and with a maximum bit-rate of 9200, with footage of 720 x 576 (16:9 widescreen format). From my reading-up on such matters, that just squeaks in at the upper-end of DVD compatibility, if the lower bit-rate is allowed to 'float'. The settings it takes up might seem alarmingly lowat the bottom end-of-the-scale, but that is governed by contingencies and the nature of the footage being processed, the needs of more 'static' footage being much less, of course. After-all, most video formats only process the differences between frames (the 'B' and 'P' frames), while the scene is re-established, each 12 to 15 frames,by means of the 'I-frames'. So, my advice, (for what it is worth), see what the slowest processing option on-offer is, and give it a try. The assumption being, that the slowest and least convenient way of going about things, is usually the best in-the-end, with video.

For my own part, I produce my finished features in both high-quality 'avi' and 'mpg2'. The mpg2, for home consumption, the 'avi' (strictly speaking smart-rendered in the DV-AVI package), as a hedge against 'contingencies', for the future. As I think I may have mentioned on another thread recently, I have 96 DVD's of DV-AVI footage which I am editing my way through, some of my early footage, of historical events shot originally on 16mm film in the 4 x 3 aspect-ratio, have been cropped and re-stretched to 'widescreen'.

By the way 'Signmax', I use Magix 'Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus' for all of my work, currently; in preference even, to their own VSP-1.5, which I also have. A great piece of software at the price, which has me constantly wondering 'how-they-do-it'.

Ian Smith

Dunedin - New Zealand

Eventvideoguy's picture

You can burn it to a regular DVD disc but not as a formatted DVD. You'll have to just burn the file to the disc. Sorry. DVD players will not read the disc.

Yvon Robert's picture

Hi,

I mention that using a movie less than 30 minutes length you burn a Blu-Ray type on a DVD blank and you use a Blu-Ray player. Personnaly I not test if I create a Blu-Ray image less than 4,7 gig and copy this disk image to a DVD. My software can do it without problem.

May be somebody can test this.

Regards,

YR

D0n
D0n's picture

I've dropped discs and only do standard def dvd when specifically asked to do so.

I was the first hd shooter in my area, and as an early adopter, the first solution I found is still the best...

appletv or other such hd streaming device direct to tv from computer ( there are several options). 720 p is actually hard to tell from 1080 on large screens unless you got your face up to the display for pixel peeping, but for most people from a normal viewing distance, thier eyes cannot resolve the differences between them. Heck half the peiple out there cannot tell upsampled dvd from 1080p on a 40 inch flat panel from seven feet away.

I never went blue ray and do not regret it.

Dave Haynie's picture

There are a couple of ways to put HD on a DVD. None of them will play in a conventional DVD player.

Some very small number of regular DVD players have supported alternate formats, including HD, but this is very specific to your player. The more common formats here are DivX-HD and WMV/HD. DivX-HD is just a DivX file authored at standard bitrates specified by DivX, Inc. They work with hardware manufacturers to ensure compatibility. WMV/HD is a fully authored format, based on specs defined by Microsoft, using HTML and Javascript. There's virtually no authoring software, though, so it's a bit of hand coding. I had a player that played both of these types, before real HD standards emerged.

Aside from that, you need a Blu-ray player or PC to play HD video. Most Blu-ray players support the AVCHD format on DVD, which is a subset and slight mutation of Blu-ray. This was created by Sony and Panasonic for DVD camcorders, but you can put your HD videos on AVCHD disc and expect them to play in most BD players and many PCs. The main limitation is that you must use AVC, not MPEG-2 or VC-1, and the bitrate should be below 18Mb/s.