You are here

Camera's have lost firewire port-how to fix! Help:)

jgreene-swhs's picture

Hello,

I teach a video class at SWHS and we are having a big problem that I have never encountered before. 4 Canon ZR830 cams and a GL2 have lost the function to transfer data through the ieee firewire port. All worked, then just started going down. The computer port works fine. I've tested the ports with external HD's and hubs and all work. The camera works great. WHen we connect the firewire cable to the camera and turn it on, nothing happens on the computer. The software says it is not detected.

The computers are AMD quad 4500, 2 gb memory, 512gb video cards, 4 ieee ports on each computer. None of the ports work with the cameras. Has anyone else gone through this? Are the ports on the cameras all bad??? How?? Kids are rough, but not that rough with gear. Any help is greatly appreciated. And yes, we have tried different cables.

thanks

jeff

Ken
Ken's picture

Jeff,

It seems like quite a coincidence that BOTH camcorders start having a firewire problem at the same time. (I'm assuming that these same camcorders had both been working with these same computers until very recently.) And since the computers are still able to communicate with other firewire devices, that seems to rule out a problem with the computers. Maybe the firewire cable you use for the camcorders is different than the one you use to hook up the external hard drives? At this point, I'd get a new firewire cable and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, maybe find a camcorder that the students have never touched, hook it up to one of the computers, then power up the camcorder AFTER the hookup, and see if the computer can see it. (It might take a few seconds for it to be seen.)

Ken Hull

jgreene-swhs's picture

That's the problem. I can use another camera with the same cable and it work. It seems that the camera has shorted out the ieee port. Canon says it is because we plugged the camera in while the computer was on. I'm supposed to plug them together, then turn on the computer, then camera. This makes no sense to me.

thanks anyway

jeff

Ken
Ken's picture

Jeff,

I've read in another forum where pro videographers have been blowing circuit boards in their JVC professional HD series camcorders by plugging in the firewire while the camcorder is powered on. The solution is to keep the camcorder powered OFF until everything is connected. GOOD LUCK TRYING TO GET A BUNCH OF STUDENTS TO ALWAYS DO THAT!!!!!

In that "other" forum, someone posted a link to a Comprehensive / Kramer PT-1FW Spark-Guard Pro DV Line Protector that sells for $72. Not sure if that would prevent future occurrences of your problem.

Link to B&H

Funny, but I seem to recall that when firewire was first introduced, one of the selling points was that it was "hot-pluggable". But maybe I'm just confusing it with USB.

Good luck,

Ken Hull