You are here

Bloggers Wanted!

shawn81's picture

We are seeking bloggers with video production knowledge to blog weekly on our site http://www.Videezy.com/blog

We are looking for any type of video production tips, tricks, news, and product reviews. Ideally geared towards theamateur/intermediates.

Please PM me with samples of your writings and work if you're interested.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

For fee? If it's for FREE, a good number of us are already doing our own blogs, so what would be the incentive for sharing our knowledge, expertise and writing abilities with you?

Gregory Watts's picture

I agree with Earl on this, in fact here I am

http://www.tasana-studios.com/blog.html

Shawn, I can see what you are hoping to accomplish with the site you are building. A vast community to share resources for video work.

Some other sites that have accomplished that goal?

http://www.videomaker.com

Many of the people here do have their own blogs, where they post tips about their own experiences and tricks for making things work in video production. A vast video community of resources is a good idea, but in the end it may turn out to be the WalMart of the video resource world.

Think for a moment. You and several others shoot some great stock video (BTW I saw one of the videos on your site is a "find" on youtube, I see copyright issues), take some awesome photos and upload some tunes. However their is no copyright release to download and no evidence trail back to the production of some of the uploads (youtube video find as example). But suppose the site continues to grow, you are obtaining a lot of "free" footage and resources, but as the site grows so does management of the site, and a host of issues WILL come up, soon it will start to rob time, you will need more "free" help. Soon ideas clash and then some words are exchanged, someone is "removed" from helping and then you get served with papers for copyright infringement because at the ground level no one that submitted work was required to release their hold to you or the site. In the end you WILL have to start charging a fee somewhere and at some point. In the meantime while your services are free, ones (and many are members here) that obtain a few dollars by offering stock video and music are put out of business or cannot update their files because you are offering it for free.

In the meantime, those that are uploading to the community share site "forget" where they got this piece or that piece and upload it, then you learn that it is a copyright protected piece or a piece that is offered by someone here that is scratching out a living from a "pennies to pay" for their stock footage and now their stock footage is uploaded to your site and given away.

When I first saw your site I knew it was a great idea, but when I dug into it and realized that ANYONE can upload anything and make a claim, I can foresee that you will at some point in the near future need some very big lawyer's. When I see a post "this was a find on youtube," and (http://www.videezy.com/elements-and-effects/274-free-hd-spiral-effect) it is the uploader to share.

My first concern after seeing that is if these videos were downloaded (or any part of) from a paid for stock site then reuploaded here, that is file sharing.

I do think you have a awesome idea, but I do think you need to do verification of copyright and have the right for each piece of stock ready for download. If the uploaders were one or two people only and they obtained all the footage it would be much easier, but an open door policy to upload without proof is a scary idea.

http://www.videezy.com/terms

You state in your terms

"it is your responsibility to take action and contact the offender - Videezy is not a legal authority and cannot act upon overstepped boundaries. Users - please abide by each artist's license and desires. Videezy holds no responsibility for the use of the video once they are downloaded - we only offer the space and community for uploading/ downloading."

Stating this in their terms did not stop youtube from being sued, or Priatebay, or Napster, etc. What you have created is a file sharing site, and you are depending on the uploader to be "honest". bittorrent was started under the purest of motives, but that past intent will not save anyone in court that uses bittorrent with the share setting open.

I also think recruiting persons from here for the blog or for sharing stock is kinda like Walmart going into a small town and winning over enough small businesses to kill the rest. I know that is not your intent and it was not Walmarts in the beginning.

IMO your site would be perfect with more administration and a fee, No one likes fees, but they are a huge help with honesty when it comes to file sharing.

"A Photo Captures but a Moment in Time: Video Captures a Lifetime in a Moment"

shawn81's picture

EarlC,

Other than the monetary incentives, there are many ways in which writing on other blogs can greatly help you:

1. Free traffic to your own blog
By linking back to your own blog you can pick up some nice quality back links pointing to your site. Well allow two backlinks to guest bloggers as a way to say thank you for their high quality guest posts. These kinds of backlinks are highly appreciated by Google especially after Google Penguin update as you are guest blogging our blogs that is based in your niche.

2. More exposure and branding
Suppose you write on a guest post on a blog that gets 10000 visits per day and your guest post is viewed by 5000 readers of that blog over the period of time, so you are able to present your expertise and brand to so many people with single guest posts only. And if you could afford to write 8-10 guest posts every month over the next one year, you can imagine how much exposure and branding you will be getting for yourself through guest blogging only.

3. Build relationships with other bloggers
By guest blogging you are able to connect and work with other bloggers in your niche. Apart from guest blogging, there is no alternate to build healthy relationship with fellow bloggers who are unknown to you. You will also be able to connect with their readers through your guest posts and your comment replies.

4. More guest posts for your own blog
As you are writing more and more guest posts, other blog owners and their readers are able to know about you and your online blog. There is every chance some of blog owners for whom you had written guest posts will be interested in writing guest posts on your blog as well.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head why you should consider guest blogging. If you're interested in getting paid to write, we are happy to pay for good informative content written to our standards. Please PM me samples of your writing and how much you think its worth.

shawn81's picture

Gregory,

Thanks for sharing a link to your blog. I see you're getting zero interaction on your blog. See my response above to EarlC, why you should also consider guest blogging if you want want to grow traffic to your site.

In regards to some of your comments:

"Shawn, I can see what you are hoping to accomplish with the site you are building. A vast community to share resources for video work. Some other sites that have accomplished that goal? http://www.videomaker.com"

Just to clarify: we are hoping to accomplish a "vast community" of free HD stock footage. We *might* ad other resources later, but for now we're just focusing on free HD footage. I would have to disagree with you that VideoMaker.com is not doing the same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see anyplace here that makes free HD stock clips easily accessible to download. They just link to other sites.

"But suppose the site continues to grow, you are obtaining a lot of "free" footage and resources, but as the site grows so does management of the site, and a host of issues WILL come up, soon it will start to rob time, you will need more "free" help."

Who said we were looking for free help?

"In the meantime while your services are free, ones (and many are members here) that obtain a few dollars by offering stock video and music are put out of business or cannot update their files because you are offering it for free."

You have no data to support that claim. We actually have a lot of data that suggests these free lower quality clips increase sales to other stock agencies who advertise on our site. Just to give you an idea of our background, we have been heavily involved in the stock graphic industry for a long time so this isn't our first stab at building a website like you seem to be implying.

"When I first saw your site I knew it was a great idea, but when I dug into it and realized that ANYONE can upload anything and make a claim, I can foresee that you will at some point in the near future need some very big lawyer's."

Anyone can upload anything ANYWHERE and make false claims. Not just our site.

"My first concern after seeing that is if these videos were downloaded (or any part of) from a paid for stock site then reuploaded here, that is file sharing."

Just to make it VERY clear, we do NOT allow this whatsoever. All videos that are uploaded are either considered public domain OR uploaded under a CreativeCommons license or our "Standard Videezy License" (which is very close to the CC license but gives users more control of their files by not allowing them to be shared on other sites without their permission).

Regarding the copyright issues:

Thank you for pointing out that spiral effect. The video has been removed and the user has been banned. We moderate every clip that comes through but that one somehow slipped past us. This is where we rely on the community for help. The community loves to police itself and tell on each other when they find something stolen. Just like you did here. So thank you for that :) We take immediate action to remove all clips that are not uploaded legally. YouTube was sued because they were hosting content that they didn't own from the major broadcast networks like NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. We don't allow that. All files are shared by users who own the content.

Gregory Watts's picture

@Shawn "and tell on each other" sounds like my mother. :)

I do hope you succeed at this. As I suggested, this is a great idea, and I sincerely hope it takes off and is a huge success. I have at times even considered uploading pieces that I have shot to my blog for ones to download. But as I tell my wife, I am not a gambling man when it comes to anything. I have tangled with the legal department of Microsoft, Apple and a few others, so I am extremely, highly and super gun shy. Fact is when Microsoft dropped the hammer on my little 2 man computer shop back in about 2006, I did not violate any of their copyrights or anything, just made them look really really foolish on that X-Box thing. They got really mad. I learned from that experience that large companies do not have to have a legal reason to squash you, they just do.

So although I think you have a great concept and idea, I get gun shy in areas like this. I hope none of my comments offended you.

As to the traffic to my blog, (BTW here is where I spend most of my free blog time)

http://www.times-aarow.com/

I could not keep with with posters and feedback. I get traffic, of course that is easy to monitor. I get more traffic to the Times-aarow blog, in fact many who read that have the Tasana site bookmarked and jump to the time-aarow from Tasana.

If I had too many readers that posted comments or feedback I would never have time to write. I have posted some on my kidney failure here, and I mostly do these online things to keep my mind stimulated, and hopefully on the times-aarow blog someone will have the foresight to see one of my theories is correct.

Charles Schultz's picture

He is right about the back-linking. Google loves that kind of stuff and will help bring your blog or web site higher in the search engines. By being a guest blogger it makes you look more like an expert in your field to Google so it definitely helps.

Gregory Watts's picture

SEO is something I appear to have a talent for, and I do understand the importance of back-linking.

www.conditionedheatingandcooling.com is one of the websites that I built and manage, it has a near perfect SEO saturation of 4% and ranks #1 or within top 5 of all three major search sites.

The only blog I would want back-linked is Times-aarow.com. Tasana-studios.com is really not SEOed and I try not to let Google, Bing, and Yahoo crawl it. It took me a long time to shed some customers, I can't handle new ones.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

There are certainly advantages, and disadvantages, to guest blogging. With a good site the advantages FAR outweigh the negative side effects. On the other hand, a poorly developed, inadequately maintained, over-commercialized blog site can yield too many negative responses and eventually find its way OUT of the Internet community interest zone.

I like having a smaller following of LOYAL readers who read and share my posts, link to/from me, and offer comments (as a rule) that help build readership and reader loyalty, attracting people in the zone of professionalism I appreciate. I like having fellow professionals who occasionally do a guest blog for me and offer me opportunities to guest on their blogs as well. I like having a smaller groups of people with whom I can maintain this personal level, and do not care to overwhelm myself with a site that is saturated with too much, too often, too commercial.

I also prefer to put my energies in doing what promotes my long-term goals: eyeballs, primarily; sales of books ranging from video and marketing how-to, to non-fiction, fiction, short stories and even a bit of political satire; name recognition, visibility and linkage, BRANDING; and, of course, video production business. My ongoing thrust is to establish a series of single-interest websites focusing on ONE aspect of my video or book-publishing business, using key word search groups that land eyeballs, then offer them the opportunity to delve deeper into the services I provide by checking MY OWN links, be they another website I own/use, places where I host my products, such as Lulu dot com, and my blog, or the blogs of those with whom I link.

I sustain and maintain my desired levels of expansion and growth using the smaller community concept, the personal connections I enjoy, my social networks on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook, and the Videomaker forums, and that's good enough for me. I want the focus of my efforts to be on me, my brand, business, services and products and not someone else's, except HERE, of course, where there is a bounty of reciprocal and cooperative community association. Even Videomaker magazine values my experience and knowledge to the point that I am occasionally invited, and paid, to put an article together for the publication.

Comes a time in a blogger, independent professional video services provider and writer's life when s/he needs to focus on what focuses on their objectives and goals, furthers them, not dilute their efforts by offering good content for some other entity and its readers' consumption with the hopes I might garner a few more licks from Google's bots, however happy that might make those search engines.

Good luck with your endeavor. It is, for some, for your group, a good concept, approach and idea, though certainly not a totally new one, and like Gregory and others here, I wish you the best of success and luck.

shawn81's picture

EarlC,

I completely understand. There are after all, so many hours in the day :) Best of luck to you as well.

I guess this thread is getting a little off topic now. I was just looking for people who were interested in blogging :)

If anyone wants to start a new SEO thread, by all means I love to talk SEO!