You are here

Best video card(s) for Pinnacle Studio 9?

MarieBoyer's picture
Wondering if someone could recommend the best video card(s) to use with Studio 9? Pinnacle's website says it must be DirectX compatible. (I will have a P4 3 ghz/intel 875 or 915 chipset).
Thanks!

compusolver's picture
The Radeon cards are popular.

Checkout www.videoguys.com - they have a complete section regarding selection of computer components for video editing.

The biggest problem I've seen with Studio 9 is motherboard chipset issues. It would probably be difficult nowadays to buy a video card that did not support DirectX

MarieBoyer's picture
Thank you for both your answers.
Can you give me more detail about Studio 9 and problems with motherboard chipsets? Particular compatibility problems? Thanks!

compusolver's picture
You'll find more info on the Pinnacle site, but basically Studio prefers Intel chipsets. I had difficulties running it on an AMD machine, but after applying their patches and reading about various workarounds, I even got it to work on that machine. All video editing software prefers at least 1/2 gig of ram (1gig or more is better).

Studio 9 has the best user interface of any editing software, but their Plus version is buggy on PIP (picture in picture) as it leaves a horizontal static line running through the image for the first second or two. Also, chroma effects are rather coarse.

It is absolutely the most intuitive software and it has plenty of power for a sub-$99 program.

MarieBoyer's picture
I just went to your website. Thanks for your advice. Do you mind advising me on companies you have faith in for computer purchasing? I understand if you do not have the time. But any advice would be welcome!!!!!
p.s. Part of me just wants to go and buy a Gateway or HP off the shelf at Best Buy or online from Newegg. I love the Dell product and price but not the service. I have looked at Monarch Computers, and they look good. I also have a local computer store that I like, but it is mighty expensive. With your experience, do you have any advice on this?

compusolver's picture
I used to strongly advise people to buy at their local computer stores, but now that the big companies make upgradable computers and due to fierce competition in the lower priced PC's, many local stores are forced to carry only high-powered lines, I waffle somewhat.

It is still preferable to deal locally, even if not as important as it was seven years ago.

Try this - arm yourself with a components list and prices from the discount stores, then go visiting at least three local stores. Talk to them about your price and service concerns. If none of the three (or more if you have more in your area) makes you feel comfortable with their price/etc. then go with the discount stores.

The big stores will never be able to give you the service and attention that your local dealer can. However, your local guy just can't buy in the quantities that the big outlets do and hence, he can't carry the same components at the same prices.

However, the local stores CAN carry things like deluxe and high-powered items at competitive prices because nobody buys those in big enough quantities to get super-duper deals.

If you buy local, keep in mind that the store probably only made $50 to $100 bucks on your purchase - barely enough to pay for the handling and build time. Support them as much as you can by buying there and telling your friends about the good service. If, for some reason, you don't get good service, tell everyone about that also!

Before you deal with a huge discount shop or Internet outfit, you may want to read this -

http://www.rs-kit.com/articles/index.php?a=4

(I occasionally write articles for this site for computer resellers)

As for computer stores I have faith in, I will defer to your local people. You're always safer with the guy you can look in the eye.

As for video equipment, I recommend B&H Photo & VideoGuys.com (no relation to my OKVideoGuy.com). There are some serious "sharks" out there with full-page ads in the video magazines that you gotta watch out for. Until Videomaker and Computer & Camcorder magazines get the backbone to stop allowing these crooks to advertise, people will have to stay on their toes.

MarieBoyer's picture
Just read your article. Thanks for everything!

I am leaning toward my local computer store. But, what he sells I can buy at Monarch computers on-line for $300 less and with a three-year on-site parts and labor warranty.

Monarch computers has a top-notch rating on resellers.com.

I am going to ponder this one before my next move. Thanks again for your advice and lengthy, thoughtful response!