You are here

Best utilization of Hard Drives for video work

cgaif's picture

I'm not sure that my topic title properly describes my needs but I will explain as best I can.  I am setting up a new computer.  I have two external hard drives.  One is a TB and the other 250 GB  My in-computer hard drive is a TB.

I am wanting to edit High definition video from a GoPro Hero.  I am not sure how to best set up the hard drives.  I presume the operating system and my editing software (Corel Video Studio Pro X3) will go on the Computer's TB hard drive.  Should I download all of my raw video to one desktop hard drive and all Project Files to the same HD or should they be saved to the second desktop hard drive?  I don't really understand the reasonaing behind where they should be stored so a simplified (Computer's for Dummies) type of explanation would be most appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

One question - How are the external drives attached - USB 2, USB 3, eSata, FireWire (IEEE 1394), etc...?

I am assuming SATA 3G but 6G would be better for the internal.

As a rule, you would want the externals on different data paths - i.e. eSata for the big one and USB3 for the smaller.

You also don't mention what speed (or make/models) the drives are - The faster the RPM and bigger the cache, the better your response times will be.

I would store the source video on the internal, additional assets (music, graphics, etc...) on the faster of the externals and render to the slower of the externals. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary and I don't know many of the specifics of your setup.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

cgaif's picture

am not able to reply in the previous posting Bruce. I appreciated your
input and wanted to send more information to you but for some reason
when I hit "Send Post" I get a warning on my screen that says "Are you
sure you want to leave this page" and a second choice "Leave this page"
I have no idea what this is about. I am therefore trying a new topic
line to see if it will send. Hopefully it works and I can reply to your
advice.

cgaif's picture

<p class="post">

For some unknown reason, my message posted this time so I will reply to my own post. This is for Birdcat however, and thank you Bruce for your last reply.

My computer system: Foxconn case with Cooler Master Extreme 500 watts
power supply; GigaByte GA-P55 usb 3.) motherboard; Intel Core i7 (870)
processor; ATI HD 5570 1G GDDR3 ram, DVI, HDMI, analog connectors;
BluRay 10X dvd burner drive, model: UH10LS20; Seagate 1TB 7200 rpm hard
drive; Internal memory card reader.

My external desktop drives: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2 TB/TO USB 2.0 and a Comstar HDE1-1TB/S (Both external drives connect with USB 2.0

I hope this is helpful. If the above suggests a change in your first
suggestion, I would appreciate it. Thanks so much. (Any idea why my
computer is giving me this Warning Mesage I mentioned earlier?

Note, I posted these two posts in error on Head to Head as well. Ignore them. Or perhaps I can delete them. I will try. John

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Hi John -

OK - You've got a nice, powerful box to work with (I am assuming the 1G RAM is a typo - you should have 6G or more - If it is 1G, get thee to a computer place and get 8G or more in it's place).

Even though you can et some contention if both externals are hooked up USB 2, it should not be an issue for you. I would still keep my software and raw video on the internal (still assuming SATA 3G), additional assets (music, graphics, etc...) on the faster of the externals and render to the slower of the externals.

You can use this as a starting point and try other setups to see what works best for you.

If your enclosures ever go south on you but the HD's are ok, look into a replacement enclosure with eSATA connectivity.

Your system seems like it rocks - I'm jealous (still editing on a 2.6ghz Pentium IV) - Maybe that gets updated this year....

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

cgaif's picture

Hi Bruce. I still have trouble getting my messages to post, but will try again! First, thank for your input. Apologies, but I still have a couple of clarifications needed re your last post. 1. Your comment "Still assuming SATA 3G." I think this is in reference to my internal HD, but as mentioned I have a Seagate 1TB 7200 rpm HD. I am not understanding this association.

2. Your comment "Even though you can get some contention if both externals are hooked up USB 2, it should not be an issue for you." I don't understand this comment.

I am sure it is difficult to relate easily with those of us who are not too savvy when it comes to computers. Your patience is appreciated....big time!

All other information; suggestions I understand and appreciate.

John...still trying and even learning a little each time. ha

UnitedNerds's picture

Cgaif,
I will try help you out as well. I will try to address the issues you brought up in your last post.

1. His comment was speaking about your internal harddrive. Basically now-a-days there are 2 speeds at which the internal SATA cords travel at, 3 Gbps and 6 Gbps. Birdcat is just trying to determine if you have a 3 Gbps or 6 Gbps connection. It would not matter to most people, but to video editors who stream multiple HD sources at once, this can sometimes be a limitation. The 6 gb/s speed is recommended. I can see from your motherboard that it only supports 3 Gbps speeds, so you don't need to worry about this at all.

2. Point number 2 you brought up in your last comment, you really shouldn't have a problem with at all.

(also birdcat, the 1 gb of ram he was referring to was his video cards ram)

So here is what I recommend. It would be best for you to get a smaller internal harddrive or Solid State Drive and put your operating system on that, then use your 1 Tb harddrive for your HD files. If you don't want the hassle of moving your OS around, I would simply buy and install another internal harddrive. Internal is your best bet for performance and price. The reason why I recommend buying another seperate internal harddrive for editing is because harddrives are limited by their spinning speed. Having one internal harddrive run your operating system and another handle your HD content will give you the best performance.

Right now I wouldn't even recommend using your USB 2.0 external harddrives at all for anything other than normal files and archival of your footage. This method would work with old standard definition files, but USB 2.0 can seriously bottleneck your performance when it comes to HD. Though it will be more expensive you can upgrade to USB 3.0 harddrives, eSATA, Firewire is a dying interface and from what I've heard is advertised to be faster that it usually is. Your other option could be to throw away your computer and buy a mac with Thunderbolt!

CraftersOfLight's picture
Plus Member

For your question on SATA 3G

There are currently 3 versions of SATA interface.

revision 1.0 (SATA 1.5 Gbit/s(data transfer rate)

revision 2.0 (SATA 3 Gbit/s) (SATA 3G) Current in most of today's PCs.

revision 3.0 (SATA 6 Gbit/s) (appears to be new format coming out in support of SSDD higher transfer rate ability)

USB Contention:

Some systems get confused at multiple USB drives if they areturned onat the same time. This makes one or more not visible to the system, you wont see it/them on your "My Computer" screen. One way to avoid this, for the most part, is to turn on each drive after the PC recognizes the prior one.

My suggestion is that once you can afford one, add an additionalinternal HDD to your PC. Use your main HDD for OS and Programs and manage your files on the second one. The reason being that the HDD does not have to so much work with reading and writing and this lends to speeding up your processes.

Life is not a guided tour nor a destination. It is a journey. Take the time to enjoy your family, friends and surroundings. Build memories. Share experiences. Travel at sight speed not light speed. (C)

cgaif's picture

Good morning JP McConnell & Crafters of Light.

I appreciate both your comments so much....the clarifications of Birdcat and your own thoughts and suggestions. I am much clearer on these items now and will certainly consider adding a second internal hard drive to my cpu. They are pretty reasonable in cost these days.

Video editing, challenges my aging gray cells so this is all good, and the end product of some video of flights I take here in the Vancouver Island region is so rewarding. Now working with HD makes it even better.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out a relative rookie!

John Veale