You are here

best software for capturing video (DV)

jbank's picture

what is the best software for capturing and editing Digital Video?

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Ask ten people that question here and you'll get 12 opinions.

It all depends on your personal needs, likes, tastes, experience, etc...

Are you using a PC or Mac? Do you have any prior experience? What is your budget? Do you already have a camera and if so what format does it record in?

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

jbank's picture

It is for capture a wedding video to make a DVD. I am using a PC and my camera is a JVC GR-D396U. The format is DV. I am on a small budget. I have used Cyberlink Power Director Deluxe 6.0 in the past. It seems to wash out the color and the picture doesn't look the seem as it does when viewing on the camcorder.

Thanks

roblewis56's picture

You can find a comparison at:

http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?

pseudosafari's picture

I used Pinnacle Studio 8 through 12 and was generally happy with it over the years. Does simple editing, too, and I think it's still under $150.00.

Your hardware might make a difference in the problems you describe, too. Make sure you have the best cables for the device, too--that can affect the capture process.

SteveMann's picture

DV via Firewire is simply a data copy. Nothing gets altered by the capture software. Nothing.

I use Scenalyzer for my DV work.

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I don't use tape much anymore but Vegas has it's own capture program so I use that then.

I so like the speed of source capture from hard drive and flash memory - I don't think I would ever go back to tape...

As for the colors - are you processing the footage in your NLE at all? In Vegas I use the color curves filter to make the video "pop". It does make a difference.

With Color Curves:

With Color Curves

Without Color Curves:

Without Color Curves

Color Curves Settings:

Color Curves Settings

jbank's picture

I do not know what NLE is but I guess I am not using it. What version of vegas are you using.

jbank's picture

My video are looking like the one without color curves after I capture it my PC, but it does not look that way when you view it on the camcorder.

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

NLE = Non Linear Editor - Vegas, Premiere, Final Cut, Avid, etc....

I am using Vegas Pro 8 but color curves has been there for a long time (before Version 6 when I started using it).

And color on your PC does not accurately represent what video will look like on a TV - Many folks have a separate TV monitor to view in realtime or you can burn a test DVD nd check it out that way.

ophelia's picture

Birdcat - please elaborate on the set-up mentioned in your statement:

"Many folks have a separate TV monitor to view in realtime or you can burn a test DVD nd check it out that way."

Thanks!

XTR-91's picture

"It seems to wash out the color and the picture doesn't look the seem as it does when viewing on the camcorder."

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but the problem may lie directly under the performance of your camcorder, or, there is a problem with the format which you are saving and re-importing into the timeline. The other possibility is a color adjustmentproblem (brightness, contrast, saturation, etc.) Those are the only possibilities that I can come up with, other than a problem that happened somewhere along the process of capturing, software processing (your software/video card degrades the preview quality), or rendering a poor quality format.

jbank's picture

Can't seem to find color curves under video fx in 8.0 pro. Help?

David Forrester's picture
Plus Member

Sony Vegas 9. Amazing program. Spend the money, learn the program, get practice and you will never regret it ever. As an alternative, Sony Moviemaker - about $100. Then you can upgrade to Vegas 9 if you want.

There is no substitute for quality and performance. Just isn't.

techienerd's picture

Greetings,

EpicRewind is video capture software that has a key differentiating feature: RAM RollingBuffer mode. This works like an on-demand instant-replay: a game is hooked and the video is continuously buffered in system RAM, when something cool happens the user can save the buffer contents with the press of a hotkey. So rather than saving video from your entire gaming session you can just save the good stuff after it actually happens. In addition, EpicRewind provides some nice performance benefits over traditional capture software: video processing, encoding and writing to disk only happen when you choose to save a video clip. During video buffering, the contents of the framebuffer are just being copied to system memory X times per second based your specified capture FPS.

Key advantages of the RAM RollingBuffer:

• You don't need to pre-plan a gaming video, you can just play the game without thinking of the video at all. If something interesting happens you can always choose to save it after it's happened.

• Ideal for MMOs and Multiplayer games where 99% of the gameplay isn't worth sharing and the interesting stuff can happen at unexpected times.

Added benefits:

• One of the best benefits is that it saves you time by eliminating the need to dig through all your saved gameplay footage to find the good stuff.

• Saves disk space by not writing countless hours of video to disk your just going to throw away later after you dig out the highlights.

• More efficient use of system resources by not processing and encoding video the entire time your gaming.

The base version of EpicRewind is free and can be downloaded here:

http://epicrewind.com/downloads.php

Anyway, thanks for reading!