You are here

Best Format For Windows Movie Maker??

Rebel Racing's picture

Hi Guys,

Looking to convert my VOB files from our dvd camcorder so I can edit and publish on WIN movie maker. Not sure what will give the best quality when I burn them to DVD. It's nothing special but I do want the best quality. Any suggestions??

Thanks!!

Eventvideoguy's picture

Since they are already mpeg videos why not just use that. Then almost no conversion needs to be done.

Rebel Racing's picture

Hi,

When I try to import the .VOB files they only show up as a 5ec. clip. If I convert them to mpeg2 it works fine. Is that the best way to do it??

Thanks!!

Eventvideoguy's picture

Yes. You require a converter to change them from .VOB to MPEG. Don't just try to change the extension.

Windows movie maker will read only a couple file types.

.MPEG/.MPG

.AVI

.WMV

Just make sure it's one of those.

DVD video files have a .VOB extension but they are MPEG2 videos.

Just like with JVC HD camcorders. They have a strange extension. .TOD

They are HDV/MPEG files but you have to convert them. It's a pain in the neck, I know.

Rebel Racing's picture

O.K. Thanks!! I assume that MPEG2 is a better quality than AVI or no(??) I always thought that the larger the file the more detail was "inside". YOu can tell that I am an amature.

Thanks!!

Eventvideoguy's picture

Actually, when converting to Windows AVI, it is easier to edit.

MPEG is iffy to edit because mpeg relies on key frames. Some frames rely on previous frames.

AVI is one picture per frame. So if you cut one frame nothing happens to future frames.

I would suggest Converting to AVI and edit to that then compressing it to DVD format before burning the final DVD.