You are here

Best Camera for Live Streaming of Sports (hockey)

hughdemand's picture

<p class="post">

I have the opportunity for major input to the
purchase of cameras for live streaming of hockey games. I am looking for
recommendations of a good camera.

Thanks

Hughdemand

Rob Grauert's picture

hmm, i am not familiar with live streaming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would guess that the camera connects to something that compresses the video in real time, and then it's sent out to the web. Is that how it works?

If that's the case, I would get a camera that has an HD-SDI connection. Whatever the camera connects to that compresses for the web should be able to accept the HD-SDI connection.

HD-SDI outputs an uncompressed signal. So if you're compressing for the web, an uncompressed source of video will give you the best results.

Lots of affordable cameras have HD-SDI. Canon XH-G1s, Canon XL-H1s, Panasonic HPX170, Panasonic HPX300, Panasonic HPX370, Sony EX1, Sony EX3. The video outputting from HD-SDI will be very similar between all of these cameras because, well, uncompressed is uncompressed. I would go with the HPX370 (if the budgets allows) or HPX170 because they don't have CMOS sensors, which could be problematic during fast motion or fast camera movement.

hughdemand's picture

Thanks for the prompt reply. I may be hampered by the inputs to the encoder. Currently it is composite (posibly S-Video as well) but their technology (the streaming compnay owns the computer/encoder). But the technology is always changing.

I have been using an old Panasonic WJ-AVE5 for mixing between older cameras.

Thanks