You are here

Beginner help

dosunos11's picture

Y'all probably get this a lot, but I'm new and need help. I've been editing on a small scale for a couple years now and on final cut express for about a year but next year I will be a senior in high school and will be doing an independent film course and I am probably going into film in college so I need a good camera. I will be going to italy in two weeks with a leadership group and I have been asked to make a film recording the trip and the work put into it but I need to get a good camera preferably under $1000 which I know is ridiculous but I figure y'all know what is best and can help me

dellwovideo's picture

I have a Canon Vixia HF S200 and for the money I don't think you can beat it. Videomaker did a review on the S21, S20 and S200 if you want to check it out. For the camera and a few accesories you'll come in under $1,000. It's small which makes it easier to take travelling. It also has a lot of manual features so you can play around and get the settings you like.

For a vacation though, I would remind you thisuses SDHC cards and unless you have a way to dump the files offto reuse them, or you take plenty with you, you may find yourself running short of storage space. I use Transcend 16gb class 10 cards with mine and they run about $30 on Amazon if I remember correctly. You can get 32gb cards as well. If you plan to take a laptop then you storage issue is no problem.

Alternately, you can choose to use a lower bit rate file but won't get the best image possible.

And it also takes some pretty good stills, actually.

myniztan's picture

This is just thought, but if you're planning on taking actual film courses in college, you might wanna think about getting a dslr. Since it's the closest thing in technique to shooting on film, it would give you a head start on becoming comfortable with lenses, exposure, pulling focus, etc. Kind of a "two birds with one stone" type of thing. Sure, most only record 10 minute clips, as far as filming your trip is concerned, but all you have to do is stop recording and start again (only miss a couple seconds). A camcorder, like the one meantioned above, would be the easiest to handle on the trip and give you really good results (easily), I just thought the dslr might be something to consider for a future film maker. Since it's closer to what you'll be using in film school.