You are here

Audio Help

tior33's picture

So I'm using Audacity for audio fixing. ???I use a directional canon DM-100 mic. ???The sound is great, picks my voice up very clearly. ???My only problem is, I dont have a sound studio, and where I film is no carpet, all walls...etc, so the sound is bouncing around a lot. ???Basically, I sum it up as "I sound like im in a bathroom" style.???

here is an audio clip of myself in the location I film, I took out the background noise, pay attention to my voice, as you can hear what im talking about.

http://marklive.tv/marklivesstuff/pics/sound_test.mp3

What do i need to do in order to get rid of that style of audio where I sound like im in a bathroom?? I want to sound more 'full' i guess you can say...lol.

I dont mind learning how to do it in Vegas Pro either, cause I know it says its great for that, so whats your thoughts on fixing this type of noise?

The place is actually the kitchen is where I shoot,and No i wont buy a lapel mic, the directional mic i have will work, I just know there is a way to clean it up

tior33's picture

I might be on the right lead, in audacity, if i mess around w/ the 'sensitivity' under the 'noise removal' tool, it sounds better.

am i on the right track or is there a much better way to enhance it ?

Here is an updated version of what Ive done to the EXACT same audio file. I think i still hear a hint of the 'bathroom style' sound though.

http://marklive.tv/marklivesstuff/pics/sound_test2.mp3

shastabroadcaster's picture

It boils down to a simple formula, direct/reverberant sound ratio. The only way to improve it is to get the mic closer to the source (direct sound), either with a wireless lavalier (you can get fairly decent ones for about $200) or holding a directional mic just out of frame on a fishpole. No amount of post-processing can truly get rid of that reverberant sound once recorded, at least none that I've discovered in 30 years of radio production.

tior33's picture

i KNOW getting a lapel or fishpole is better, but thats what i said I dont want to mess with right now, so my question stands on whats the best 'tweak' i can do in audacity to help with the sound of it sounding like im in a bathroom?

Thanks!

Joshua Strazewski's picture

Like Shastabroadcaster said. Once you bring in and record all that reverberant sound you're really limited in what you can do in post edit.You'll get it close messing withthe EQ but it will never sound really clear or full.If you're stuck usinga directional you may want to try hanging heavyblankes behind and around your camera to try and absorb/breakup the sound waves.

Charles Schultz's picture

Are you using your kitchen for voice overs? If so, there is a great tutorial for creating a gorilla sound booth here at VM.

http://www.videomaker.com/article/14618/

I have one in my basement and it works great for reducing echo and background noise. Unfortunately, you cannot get around poor audio quality, you can dress it up a bit but it will never sound great.

Rick Crampton's picture

Mark queries:

" What do i need to do in order to get rid of that style of audio where I sound like im in a bathroom?? I want to sound more 'full' i guess you can say...lol.

I dont mind learning how to do it in Vegas Pro either, cause I know it says its great for that, so whats your thoughts on fixing this type of noise? "

There may be some very sophisticated digital signal processors which could help you out . . . but they would cost more than a mic more suitable to your app. Moving blankets ( furniture pads )are the best temp fix for recording. Put em on the floor and hang em on every vertical surface. There's no economical fix for the hollow sound in recordings you've already made, except perhaps a tightly adjustedaudio expansion/gate if your NLE has that feature. Your voice will still sound a bit hollow, but any reverb hang should be attentuated.

Rick Crampton

simonvto's picture

Mark, there are three problems with the test audio.

1) The room is not quiet. So you can hear 'other' environmental sounds leaking into the recording, whether they are coming from outside, other rooms, a computer, whatever. Because you're not recording in a studio the mic inevitably picks up these things which the human ear would not normally detect (but does detect in a recording, when it's been amplified by a mic). Seal the room off from the outside world, or use a booth.

2) The room is echoing (as all normal rooms do). Pad it out with heavy blankets, furniture, foam, carpet. Cover hard surfaces and experiment and you'll be amazed how it improves.

3) As Shasta and Josh said, the sound source (your mouth!) is too far away from the mic. Therefore, you have to turn the gain up more, and you therefore record more of the 'other' environmental & echo sounds (because they are louder in comparison to your voice, than they would be if you were closer to the mic).

Once recorded, you cannot effectively remove echo from a recording. There are a) some very time-consuming work-arounds, and b) some automated software-based algorithms to improve it a little, but (subject to this being a professional project), it would still not be acceptable.

I haven't used the Canon DM-100, but lots of reviews are good, so if you follow some of the advice others have given above, you should be able to achieve a very good result.

Simon Luckhurst, Audio Production
Voice Over Talent, Royalty-Free Music, Sound Effects
www.voicetalentonline.com | www.whisperaudio.com