You are here

Audio equipment for voice overs?

daxalain5's picture

Hello there! I have a zoom h4n & Senheisser G3 (wireless lavs) and was wondering if one of them can do the job? Talked to a guy in B&H and he recommended me something but I don't have the budget right now. Can I just use one of them and maybe clean the audio on a software like adobe soundbooth?

Any tips/advice would be appreciated!

Rick Crampton's picture

The " big boys " in Hollywood often tried to use the same mic for v/o and ADR that was used on the original production tracks.

Why do you feel you'd hafta " clean up " the audio?

Rick Crampton

daxalain5's picture

Hello guys! Thanks for the immediate response! The job is to have a guy do a voice over and apparently I would need to do it on location. It's for a restaurant commercial and I've been researching a lot about how the zoom h4n's capabilities to do voice overs. I don't have a budget so I am just trying to use what I have right now.

@gidnears: With the zoom h4n, I think it picks up a lot of background noise so that's why I need to do something to make it sound cleaner. Can you guys give me some thoughts/advice on this? I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

D0n
D0n's picture

use the lav mic but skip the transmitter and plug the mic directly into the recorder should give you the benifits of a lav (small bubble of sensitivy, good voice low background pick up) with the reliability of a wired set up..no radio hiss or hum or interference.

that would be what I'd try... unless somebody who owns the seinheisser g3 can offer up some insight?

artsmith's picture

'Daxalain5'. Coincidentally, about an hour ago, I recorded a page of commentary for a forthcoming video module using a Zoom H1. My commentaries, are not, of course, 'voice-overs', as such, but commentaries to accompany on-screen action. They are recorded at my computer-desk, with heavy drapes drawn and the family, temporarily sworn-to-silence, no sounds, except for the cars which use our street as a short-cut to 'town'. Over the years I had tried various methods, including recording to a stereo tape deck, but the little H1, (set of 48000bps and '24-bit'), leaves its predecessors for dead. A quick trip through an audio-editor to get rid of any clicks, pops, tummy-rumbles etc, (I use AVS) and it's ready for the timeline.

The audio editor is a handy way of ensuring uniformity between recording sessions. I have created 'profiles' for various conditions, mainly boosting at various frequencies. The whole thing is corrected,in-bulk (no point in doing it over and over again), and the 'take' usually delivered all-at-once, is cut into paragraphs.

The zoom devices seem to be affected by handling-noise and would benefit from being held in a cradle device of some kind. For normal use, I use a piece of well-padded foam-plastic tubing, of the sort used for insulation around external heat-pump piping. The H1 is a comfortable force-fit into apiece of that material, and is able to be handled that way, up-to-a-point. My H1 also, has a home-made 'hairy-sausage' wind-sock, consisting of a 'Liteply' framework with 'Teddy-Bear Fabric' over-the-top. It works quite well. The same arrangement is also ideal, I have found, for recording 'archive' material, sea effects, natural-history 'sounds'. It makes as good a job, in fact, as an upmarket Sennheiser Mic. I also use at times, coupled to a 'Microtrack' audio recorder.

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

We have a pair of the G3 wireless mics. Couldn't work without them. Rick's idea of going directly to camera is good. I've never used the mics this way but it makes sense and I'll try it next time I have the opportunity.

If you decide that going wireless is a better route once you get on location, just make sure the mic is up close to the talent, high on his shirt or jacket and that it isn't rubbing against anything -- clothing, necklace, etc.

Also keep this in mind. Even though the mic is omnidirectional, if the talent turns away from the mic there will be a significant loss of signal. In other words, don't put the mic on the right lapel of the talent's jacket if she's going to be looking to her left most of the time. I've had situations where the talent, who wasn't on camera, stood beside me and did his narration. He was on my right, looking left to me, so I made sure that the mic was on his left side.

Good luck,

Jack

http://www.videoccasions-nw.com

daxalain5's picture

Thanks for the input guys! I just did a test for the h4n and the senheisser wireless lavs and found out that the audio that h4n can record is much clearer than the senheisser (w/c is a little muddy.) I am no sound guy expert but the audio that Senheisser (wireless lav) produces sounds like it just was just being recorded in a dslr camera but is a little bit cleaner and has more clarity. When I used the h4n, I used the windscreen that came with it and I was about 1-2 feet when I recorded the voice over while the wireless lav was clipped to my shirt and is facing directly towards me when I was speaking.

@jack: I am still not sure if I am going to use the wireless lavs but if I do, I will keep what you said in mind.

Thanks! :)

Anonymous (not verified)

Since you've got the microphone part figured out, take care to control your environment. If you can record your v/o in a quiet, echo-free room, you'll get more professional results. In a pinch, buy some moving blankets or get some cheap sleeping bags. Surround yourself on all sides with these blankets, cover the floor if you can. This will give you the most flexibility in post to enhance the audio vs. fighting ambient noise or transient noises.

billmecca's picture

Oren is right, sound treatment is the key....and record some room tone on location to add in to make the VO match. FWIW, I do voiceovers, I record using either a Rode NT2 or Electrovoice RE20 into an Aphex 107 Tubessence pre amp into a MAudio 2496 card, using Audition or lately Audacity The version of audition I have (1.0) seems to freak a bit with Win7 pro. I have treated the space with 2" thick rigid insulation.

Most recorders will do, but your audio will only be as strong as the weakest link.

Anonymous (not verified)

I don't know how many channels you have available to record, but you could try with more than one mic and see which one comes out the best.

That's a nice recording setup there, Bill. I do voice overs too and I'd have to say that with that equipment you can sure get the job done.

chuckzootz's picture

I have used my Zoom h2 feeding into my sender unit of my wireless lav unit and set it hidden on a table to record a group discussion, I have the Adzen WR -pro unit which cam with a lav mike and a hand held mike with a standard 1/8 plug in for external mike. I set the Zoom for 360 degree sound recording pattern and plug the receiver into my camera and start recording I will use my other cameras to record ambient sound. If I need to mix the sounds I extract the sound with AOA Audio extractor and then mix and balance the sound in Audacity, export the final sound track and plug it into my time line . AOA and Audacity are both freeware and using a n audio tool like audacity you can have complete control over sound balance, volume per track etc.

paulears's picture

The kit you mention doesn't need cleaning - it just sounds like what it is - an omni microphone. The G3s are sonically pretty transparent. For a voiceover - you need controlled acoustics and a mic that will work for the voice and not against it. So find a space that sounds good - and if you're stuck, then foam and even duvets and blankets will help make your omni sound ok - but there again, a simple cardioid with the same duvets would sound even warmer - so stop worrying about kit and concentrate on making the space sound good. The zoom is nowhere near as noisy as you have been lead to believe - with plenty of input level it's fine. To be honest, I'd just use the built in cardioids - well, just one of them, on axis and then discard the other channel. They really don't deserve the reputation people are giving them. What they are poor at is distant quiet sound when the preamp gain has to turned up too much.

daxalain5's picture

Thanks for the nice input guys! So I think my best option is to use the h4n and find a space in the restaurant (maybe in their office) to do the voice overs. I really appreciate your guys' help!