You are here

audio and weddings

Tim_Hughes_TX's picture

Alright guys, I'm getting prepared for my first wedding gig and I know what I'm getting myself into. I luckily am getting some sony wireless mics loaned to me from a buddy of mine. I have a rode shotgun mic as well for back up. My main question is for the interviews. Should I mic up the interviewee or just use my shotgun mic? I want this to be as professional as possible with what I am working with. I am very aware that most weddings are shot with AT LEAST two cameras, unfortunately I am only working with one. I know this is going to be very challenging for me. I am thinking about having a back up SD mini dv recorder that my friend has. My only concern with using this, is the fact that I will be recording on HD and I don't want any inconsistencies. Thanks for any advice.

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

"Should I mic up the interviewee or just use my shotgun mic?"

Mic on the interviewee will definitely give you the cleanest audio. The one downside is the wire from the mic to the transmitter. It's difficult to hide quickly. This is especially true with women. And the wire really looks sloppy if it's in the shot. It's easier with guys: you can clip the mic onto their shirt or long tie and tape the wire to the inside of the jacket with a couple of bits of gaffer's tape.

Mic on the camera will give you reasonably good sound if you're close to the interviewee -- four or five feet, zoomed as wide as possible. The down side of this is that you're in the interviewee's space and it may make them uncomfortable.

Another possibility, especially if you have someone who can help you, is to take the mic off the camera and use it like an interview mic. Attach the mic to the camera with a 10-15' audio cable. This allows the interviewer mobility and quite clearly says "this is an interview." This works even better if the handheld mic is wireless.

A little more formally, but still effective, is to set up an interview area at the reception with a shotgun mic on a boom above a comfortable chair or sofa. This way you'll know in advance what your shot and lighting will look like and the mic/boom combination will provide excellent audio. Bring the mic in as close as possible without it getting into your shot or, if it works out better, bring it in at waist height with the boom, again keeping it out of your shot.