You are here

ASUS Desktop PC Intel Core i7

jcl1989's picture

I just wanted to get some feedback on this computer I have been thinking about buying to do some wedding HD editing withadobe cs5. Any advice on another system or tips to look for in a system would be great.

<h1 style="margin-top: 0.5em; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.5em; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1.4em; line-height: 1.2; font-weight: normal; color: #434649; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; padding: 0px;">http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220154</h1>

Gregory Watts's picture

It will get you some intense bragging rights except in video. As I looked over the specs I was very impressed with the board, memory, and CPU, but the price was low, then I looked at the video card. It will work and work well for you. And it is the perfect starter system, I am not saying you have to buy another use this one to add improvements to. After you recover from the financial setback this will cause look into a serious video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=48&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

YEP a really good card will cost almost as much as a computer. In fact your video card should be the most costly part. Mine was priced at $400+ last year, every year my son buys the latest and greatest so I wait for his last year hand-me-down. I am happy, it is a way good card and I get it for free. But the system is a great base system, toss in a nice video card and away you go.

"A Photo Captures but a Moment in Time: Video Captures a Lifetime in a Moment"

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

jcl1989, lots of good specs with this computer. The only thing that I noticed that I have read is important for video is the speed of the hard drive. This has a 5400 rpm drive and I have seen recommendations for 7200 prm. I don't know if this matters as much when your are using the third gen processor. I'll let others who are more tech oriented than I to chime in here. Good luck with your shopping.

ageless1's picture

I agree with Videoman, the only bad thing is the hard drive. You will find that as that drive fills up the machine will become slower and slower. If you kept that drive as purely storage and installed a 256gb SSD then you would have no problems. SSDs have a much higher data transfer rate than HDDs. I just got a new machine a few days ago, I7 3960 3.3ghz 6 core cpu, 32gb of ram, 2x GTX590 3gb graphics cards, 2 tb storage drive and 256gb SSD for the OS. It is like greased lightning. You need to make sure you keep transferring your files over to the storage drive so as not to fill up the SSD but that is a small price to pay for that kind of speed.

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I built my current box based on the ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard and an Intel Core i7 2600K and I couldn't be happier. I also have an ASUS 24 monitor. It has become my favorite brand.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

jcl1989's picture

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was going to get a Quadro 2000 card to go into the system, does anyone have any experiences with that card?

Gregory Watts's picture

On the HDD speed; The 7200 HDD speed is no longer a major issue. Please check the specs on the board.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/chipset-h77.html

With 2TB and now 4TB drives hitting the market the storage method on the platter HDD has been altered. In the days of 32bit data was stored in 512 clusters in parallel. so speed mattered a great deal, also XP and older OS's did not have the ability to restore data to its place on the fly so fragmented data was a major issue. With the current size of drives data is now stored in a new method, it is turned on end so to speak. so a 5400 drive may be faster then the old 7200. The arms of the drive do not have to "seek" anymore with the new file structure of W7. Also W7 defrags on the fly like Linux. So all the factors that made platter speeds needed in the old days have now been done away with. In fact due to new storage technologies a 7200 drive "may" be a draw back. But also the board in this system is built in such a way as to feed a continuous data stream from the HDD at near the same speed as a SDD. In the old days we would split the drive and install the OS on one partition and data on another. However that too is no longer a need be with the new file structure. I do STRONGLY suggest at least 3 backups, one kept in a fire safe and made weekly the others made nightly. I would leave the OS on this drive and install my programs without partitioning this drive. I would add a second 2TB drive for the Libraries (Data). In W7 you can add as many locations for Libraries as you wish and among those choose one as default. But the speed of this drive is more than fine and will deliver almost near to that of an SDD with the mobo technology.

"A Photo Captures but a Moment in Time: Video Captures a Lifetime in a Moment"

Regis Mencer's picture

Hello JCL:

There are specific video cards that do the rendering in CS5 and CS6. You can see the list here. http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.htmlCards like the Quadro 2000 are great if you want 10-bit color but they don't have a lot of processing power. If you have $450 to spend on a video card, you are much better off with an Nvidia GTX 570 or 580 from a reputable manufacturer.

So far as the hard drive set up is concerned, the best configuration is one hard drive for the operating system and a separate hard drive for editing your media such as video. I speak about this in more detail here.http://regismencer.com/post/24130647813/episode-8-whats-the-best-hard-drive-configuration

Let me know how you get on.

All the best,

Regis