You are here

Anyone have volleyball advice?

Anonymous (not verified)

Hi, I've been asked to shoot a sport I've never filmed before - volleyball. I'm an experienced sports videographer/journalist and I've covered a lot of sport, football (UK version), rugby, cricket, athletics (T&F), boxing, tennis etc etc but never volleyball. I've got some ideas of camera positions, low to accentuate the height of the guys playing the sport, high (around the height of the net for some dynamic "spike" footage) but I wondered if anyone here might have experience of shooting the sport they might be prepared to share.

Best regards

Bob

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

I don't know if this will help much but I shot my son's and other players' teams playing a number of sports at the grade school and high school level. I shot a lot of basketball which plays on a similar size court and stadium as volleyball. I shotsome volleyball as well. Since I was shooting alone I tried a number of camera locations for best effect. I found that for one camera the best spot would be high in the stands, center court on a tripod tall enough to shoot over fans in front of you, I usually positioned myself standing on the top of the bleachers with tripod in front of me. I followed the action by panning and occasional zoomed for effect. I prescanned the court with the camera on the tripod to give me a benchmark for the end of my pan to the left court and one for thecourt on the right.Since it is difficult to anticipate when a dramatic moment will occur, I generally used the zoom to highlight the player that had just scored or made a good defensive play. This would be as the player moved to the opposite end of court in basketball or as the players shifted into position for the servein volleyball. As a secondary location in volleyball, I shot diagonally across the court from the back corner of the court behind the team that the shoot was featuring. If you have multiple cameras and a number of shooters, you can use a combination of these locations. I hope that these observations aren't too obvious and will help you set up for shooting volleyball.

Regards,

Ed

Anonymous (not verified)

Thanks Grinner, I don't have ESPN here in UK, only Sky. Not sure I agree with you that it isno different fromany other sport, they each have their own foibles and peculiarities. But I get your drift.

Thanks also to vid-e-o-man, I have three cameras, one locked-offprobably for "whole court" cutaways and two manned, one for each team. Thanks again to both of youfor your input.

grinner's picture

I don't mean to simplify but all sports are the same as far as covering them goes and I'd say the same about anything else being shot. You follow the action and cover it from the best angles. This is the same from everything from weddings to reality shows to motion pictures. It's up to you to decide what those angles are. In this case, you'll want a 45 degree angle from the front of both sides, some mediums and a camera following the ball... possibly from multiple angles. this all depends on how many cameras you have to work with. You can cover a live volleyball event with as little as three cameras and can utilize as many as as you can handle, budget permitting.If only providing a highlight reel, one camera is fine. You'll just rove around a lot.