You are here

Anybody build their own computers? Plz comment on my proposed system:

P63
P63's picture

I'm getting tempted to build a new pc for video editing. I have no interest in switching to a Mac, no offense, so please don't suggest the switch.
My requirement is to build a machine that i can maybe get 5 years of video production work out of. My thoughts:

Antec Sonata
Asus P5
8G DDR3
2T (2x1T, Raid 1)
XP Pro
LG BluRay

For capture I use iLink from my FX-1. So what is missing from the shopping list? Is there a video card that is more optimized for video editing than gaming? I don't plan to do any gaming, and would like to use a 1080p Toshiba as one monitor, then whatever for a second monitor... or maybe two Samsung 24" monitors. Any recommendations are appreciated.

ralck's picture

Firstoff,I hope yourgoingto put a CPUinthatthing! :-PIwould suggesta quad-core because itshould help yourrendertimes (most editing softwareis atleast dualcore, and newer versions will certainly support morecoresiftheydon't already).

Youaregoingtoneedto get a XP Pro 64-bitto be ableto addressall thatmemory.

Iwouldrecomend you lookinto RAIDcards.If you RAID usingthe motherboardcontroller, you are almost always tiedto thatcontroller,so youcan'teasily movetheraidto adifferentmachine (and if your motherboard dies, youhaveto get the exactsame motherboardas areplacementto access yourraid).Thisis probablygoingto cost you atleast 300for a decent one.The nicething aboutit, however,is thatany qualityraidcardwill accept 4-6 drivesat a minimum so you can expand your RAID at a later time (neweggcarries onecard thatcan accept 24 drives... but Idon'tthink you wantto spend $1k on a RAID card :-P).

Idon'tknow which editing software youuse, but Avidrequires an nVidiacardand suggeststheir Quadro FXcards (workstationcards). Workstationcards are designedtotakerender load, butI alwaysthoughtit was moreforthingslike 3D modeling (Maya or AutoCAD),soIdon'tknowifthiswill actuallyhelp you.Both nVidia and AMDhavegood offeringsasfarasvideocards (bothin the desktop "gaming"marketand workstationmarket),so I'lllet you decide which oneis bestfor you.

Other than that, I highlysuggest the Dell 2408WFP monitor.It's a 24" 8-bit monitorso youare dealingwith true 16.7 millioncolors (as opposedtoa 6-bit monitor which can technically only do approx 262 thousand colors and using dithering techniques mimic 16.2 million colors). All in all, it doesn't matter which size/brand you get, but I strongly suggest you get an 8-bit panel. I suggest the Dell because I have it and love it and even the uncalibrated delta E is quite minimal. :)

Now, if your goingtohave that muchresolution, youalso might wantto lookinto a laser mouseif youdon'thave one already.Thesearen'tthesameas optical mice-theyare moresensativeso youwill be ableto move the mouselessto travel thesamedistance.Iusea Microsoft Sidewinder mouseandcan befound on Ebayfor about $25, but this is a "gaming" mouse, so you might want to look at a more "normal" mouse.

Mylast question, andalsothe mostimportant- whatpower supplyto you plantouse? Withoutknowing your CPU and GPUchoices,Iwould say you'll probably want at a very minimuma 650Wandalways a trusted brand (Seasonic, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling, higherend Thermaltakes).Letmeknow yourCPU/GPU choiceandIcanhelpmake sure you getthepower youneed.Remember, youwouldn'tbuy acorvette and putregulargasinit,sodon'trun yourcomputer on a crappypowersupply! :)

Hopethis helps,letme knowif youhaveany questions.

P63
P63's picture

ralck,

You have given me more useful info than all the other info I've gotten off the rest of the web for the past three weeks!

1. Quad core P4

2. Thanks for the info on the raid card, I wouldn't have thought of that.

3. The Sonata case comes with a 400W ps...

4. I use Studio 12. Any idea how it runs on xp64?

5. Thanks for the monitor recommendation

6. got the mouse

7. Is there any advantage to getting a high-zoot graphics card? Say a dual PCI-x card as opposed to PCI-E (dunno if I got the letters right).

8. Are there any cards which will help reduce rendering times?

Thanks again for all help.

ralck's picture

Hrm...this quote stuff is notworking correctly forsome reason...

• Quad core P4

I think you mean Core 2 Quad. The P4's netburst architecture was retired when the Core architecture was released (well... sort of, it's still used in the Itanium line I believe... but that's not something you'll be buying :-P).

• The Sonata case comes with a 400W ps...

Get a new one! With a quad core and that amount of RAM, a 400 will be struggling. And that's not considering a video card and RAID card! I don't want to make any specific recomendations just yet, but you will need more power than that.

• I use Studio 12. Any idea how it runs on xp64?

I have rather limited experience with XP64, but the bigger issue is drivers for your hardware. It has a different driver structure, but programs should run just fine (of course, this isn't guaranteed).

• Is there any advantage to getting a high-zoot graphics card? Say a dual PCI-x card as opposed to PCI-E (dunno if I got the letters right).

PCIe and PCIx are different. PCIe stands for PCI Express and is common on most consumer motherboards. You'll want to have at least 1 PCIe 16x (this means it's PCI Express and utilizes 16 lanes - it's what the modern day "gaming" cards, and most, if not all, of the modern day workstation cards use). PCIx is not the same thing. I can't remember off the top of my head what it stands for (I think it's something like PCI eXpansion). I've only ever seen this type of slot on server motherboards, so I don't think this is what your going to want. I don't know how they compare performance-wise either.

• Are there any cards which will help reduce rendering times?

I've onlyused "gaming"cards myself,soIdon'tknow whatthe workstation cardsarecapable of with render times.Hopefullysomeone elsehassome experience andcan chimein.Onething Idoknowisthat most modernday graphicscardsare LONG!I'vegotan nVidia 8-seriescardin mycomputer (I wish my oldcard dieda littlecloserto the ATi 4-seriescards, but that's life :-P).It barelyfitsin mycase! Ihavea fairly standard mid-tower sizedcase.Most workstationcardsare even longer, so make sure whatevercard youbuywillfitin yourcase.