You are here

another green screen question

BRoach25's picture

i recently posted a video and got some great suggestions on how to improve, one was to shoot in front of a green screen so that the background would be more professional/interesting. i have a small budget....I would only feel comfortable spending $150 at the max - and would prefer to stay within the $50 - $100 range. But I've learned quickly what the regulars on here have repeatedly said....you get what you pay for. I am looking for an adequate green screen that I would be able to work with - i've looked at the foam backed from eefx.com and saw they have an 8x10 for about $110. I just dont know how to hang it up without buying all the extra stuff - the grommets, or rod hem..... is it not possible to hang these on any wall w/o those 'extras'?

I also looked at tubetape - but it seems the last commenter on green screens was not happy with the quality.

I've also looked at amazon and saw cowboy studio, britek, and estudio all make muslin sheets affordable - some come with the stands and lights , and some just have the 'sheet' - which i'm not sure how to hang...also, the price is cheap - which is great for my budget but makes me wonder if they would key well.

I've also looked at bhphoto - they have options of just the sheet, or the impact collapsible 5 x 7, or a $150 8x 10 muslin sheet with stand.

I had been looking at an 8x10 size because I had read that that's the minimum for full body shots - but I wondered if a 5 x 7 would be sufficient for waist-up shots? if so - that impact collapsible looks promising...but again, I'm not really sure the best/inexpensive way to hang these up. I would be transporting it each time I used it.

Any advice on which route you would take as someone who's never used one before and doesn't feel comfortable shelling out too much money?

Also - I have a large, roll down projector screen that I never use, I don't know if it is possible to rig up a chromakey green sheet so that I can attach it to the screen. The projector screen is relatively easy to hang up, and it seems like itd be easy to transport and store wrinkle free....just throwing that out there in case someone has done it before.

BRoach25's picture

a follow-up question - anyone know where i can find a good, free tutorial on how to key in adobe after effects?

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

"I had been looking at an 8x10 size because I had read that that's the
minimum for full body shots - but I wondered if a 5 x 7 would be
sufficient for waist-up shots? if so - that impact collapsible looks
promising...but again, I'm not really sure the best/inexpensive way to
hang these up. I would be transporting it each time I used it."

BRoach,

I use the 5'x7' collapsible when I don't need full body shots. Believe it or not 5 feet x 7 feet is a lot bigger than you think. The collapsible has a heavy wire frame so you can lean it up against the wall if you don't get the kit with the stand. If you use the single stand that comes with the kit, you'll need a counterweight to balance out the cross bar (I use a simple 5lb leg weight and a sand bag to hold the base of the stand steady.) If you get the collapsible, don't lose the folding instructions! Folding it improperly could cause the frame to have a stress failure and that wire unbound can be dangerous. Not to mention the collapsible comes in a handy carrying bag and if you don't fold it properly, it won't fit in the bag!

As for keying in AFX, the standard keying tools leave a lot to be desired. However, there is a keying plug-in called 'Keylight' that is pretty dang handy. Thing is if you don't have CS5 or later, you'll need to update Keylight to the very latest driver or else if you're using Vista or Win7, it will crash your system. It's purely a driver issue and the folks at the Foundry are real helpful and will point you to the proper way to reinstall the plug-in. Now, you have to have a legit copy of CS3 or later to get Keylight as part of AFX. Keylight comes with an easy to follow pdf Manual and unless you're trying to fix the most horrific key ever, keying with it is very little sweat.

The main thing you need to know about keying is not in post, but in production. When you're using your greenscreen, light that mutha up! Even lighting with all the same brightness and color temperature lights will make your life in post so much easier. As for tutorials, there's a whole bunch of them here on the VM site for free.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

alex3yoyo's picture

BRoach,

Paint a wall with bright green paint. I did this at my friends house and it works great. If you don'tfeelconfortable painting your wall, or want something lesspermanent, go toWalmartor some other store like it and buy some bright green poster paper. These things are about 3'x3' and cost around .67 cents per sheet depending where you buy them. Just make sure they're all the same shade. Then, tape them together with clear packing tape. Hold it up on a wall so that the tape is on the back, and put apieceof tape in each corner. Get a friend to help you. You can also put some on the ground, too. Or you could even build a stand for it out of 2x4s and attach it to that. Or you could paint the projector screen, but i don't know how that would turn out.

BRoach25's picture

thanks everyone!! I've decided to go with the impact collapsible - i appreciate the advice from all!

Dave Van De Cappelle's picture

I have a huge green muslin green screen, mounted on my wall with green thumbtacks I use Paint can light poles, spring clamps, lots of them, 4 sheets of foam board and 4 clamp lights to light it. Works Good.

Palladini

Ontario Canada