You are here

Adapting to the 'New Business Model'....

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

It's been on the forum a number of times beyond the question of 'what camera to buy', but 'how do I make money?' It's no doubt that YouTube and 'citizen journalists' are making it terribly difficult for trained, experienced and or professional videographers and editors to make a living in an environment where people place no value on their work. Amidst hordes of people all too willing to charge a pittance for their work or give it away for free, how does a profit motivated shooter/editor make a living doing this kind of work?

The panel at The Editor's Lounge discusses this and other things in their pre-NAB video. They bring up some very good points and make some interesting suggestions. Worth a look....

http://vimeo.com/40273315

MediaFish's picture

Good discussion - it makes you think about things.

Jeff Media Fish Productions

Charles Schultz's picture

Good interview, so the question remains, how do we monetize on the web when any 10 year old can make a video. We have got to show our worth. Let's compare apples to apples instead of apples to raisins is all I can think of. You can have your kid do it for nothing but will it be as good as a pro doing it, no but to some, free is better.

Ed Rogers's picture
Plus Member

Let's face it, we adapt or die.  Times are mighty lean for me but I have a pension to fall back on.  My current strategy is to focus on my previous training and computer-based training development skills and apply it to fields that appeal to me.  I'm creating instructional material of an introductory nature, in the hopes of drumming up business with more in depth materials.  In the meantime, I'll continue to take gigs, where I can find them and hope for the best...

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I think it comes down to something Grinner said in a post a while ago, "I only deal with people willing to pay for my expertise...." That's what I've been doing since I started my own joint. I constantly have to pass on gigs because what they want to pay won't even cover gas one way. Hell, I can and often do my own projects where I'm fronting all the bill. At least I own the product in the end and can do what I will with it. I saw an ad on CL that wanted a videographer for two days work, 12 hours both days for $300 and you bring the gear. The location was in a place unlikely to have skilled local shooters so the nearest city where there would be was a 70 mile trip one way. So they think someone's going to drive 140 miles roundtrip, sleep in their car ('cause getting a room for the weekend costs the same as the job pays.) Drag your gear and hump for $12.5 an hour? Oh and they weren't offering any meals either and wanted the tapes or media cards but you had to supply them. This is the mentality created by the $%#@! 'Tube. Sad part is, there are knuckleheads who are trying to 'break in' and think that's good money.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Ed Rogers's picture
Plus Member

It's a harsh reality that consumers/businesses are not willing to pay what they used to.  Every small video business has to decide what "good money" is. 

The saving grace is that videography and editing are/should be an art.  The companys that are willing to pay a pittance will end up with what they pay for.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

"...Companies that are willing to pay a pittance will end up with what they pay for."

Design,

How true your statement. I'm just concerned that 'crap' is becoming the new standard....

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Ed Rogers's picture
Plus Member

My only response to that is for you to keep working your projects, perfecting your product and, hopefully, worthy sponsors will come...

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Here's another ad from CL;

"I am making a documentary and need someone to shoot and edit it. I can't pay you for it until it's completed, but it should pay out pretty good when it's done...."

chuckzootz's picture

At this time I found this discussion interesting, in the since that I am watching people who work in the old paradigm of video content on TV and movie platforms only making the adjustment to the developing web as a major media source, and how to make money in the this environment. I have been braking into having a video business by developing a working relationship with a website/program(computer) developer.

We have been working on a plan to generate business promoting video content on the webpage as creating a new kind of bill board on the webpage. Content is still king on the web, and the standard advertising video gets "clicked away from" in seconds but have your clients tell a story about their business with good content usually gets watched. We are trying to develop a plan where we can offer a website with greater flexibility for the client and ease of embedding video on their website.

A lot of good info is available for this type of business on Onlinevideo.net witch is a site specifically aimed at video use on the web. I will post more as this opportunity developes.

Ed Rogers's picture
Plus Member

Composite1 - Not necessarily a new standard.  It's just that there are a lot more opportunities, information, venues, scams to sort through...

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Thought provoking. Anything that can get a conversation going on the ways and means for dedicated independent professional video services providers to make a living ... OR MORE ... doing something they love, enjoy, and can occasionally, hopefully, get paid decent, if not well, for is a good thread. Thanks for sharing this, Wolfgang.

Me? Two things: 1.) find a niche that isn't being filled or an under-served market, and fill it; 2.) Market.

It's more than that, sure, but sooooooo many starting out in the video services community focus on getting things going by videotaping and editing weddings. That's fine for those who enjoy working this video business arena, but many in the field would prefer to do something else at least occasionally.

The interesting thing about wedding video is (as I've said in blog articles, on this and other forums) that a HUGE group of video producers, ranging from beginner and amateur to top-flight professional, are ALL fighting over the so-called "easy" market ... that 22 percent or so of the bridal market who actually WANTS video. The BIG WEDGE of the wedding video business pie are the other 78 percent, or so, who don't think a video of their special event is all that and a bag of chips.

MARKET to THAT market, collectively or independently and see how much your market share can expand, with very little competition.

The same applies to MANY of the available avenues of video production and marketing. Good or bad we all jump on whatever wagon, take an idea or concept and play around at it without really putting our energies into developing the brand, the product or service or our business. Instead, we hang our shingles, setup a (often really, really tacky, awful, heavy with the PTA clipart stuff, thick with rhetoric, occasionally broken in some way or another) website, list our e-mail address and phone number, then wait for some action.

My focus is to NOT depend on Greg's List, and other "garage sale" mentality TRADE hotspots, but to engage in a marketing campaign designed to drive traffic to my websites, to develop simple, minimal, single- or special-interest websites focused on something I WANT to sell or video I like producing, or specialize in and work on my search engine optimization options to get the eyeballs I need for continued, renewable, repeat and NEW business sources for the services and products I most prefer to do.

I prefer to specialize in, and have written solid, informative books on, servicing areas that are grossly under-served, or stuff some self-professed "pros" might scoff, snigger or turn their noses up at, or have abandoned due to the over-simplicity of the product or service. Occasionally I might chuckle, never laugh, all the way to the bank, but I almost always am able to pay my bills on time or pick up a piece of equipment I need. Cash flow can be a pain in the neck, but the beauty of doing work others ignore is that I have a cash flow problem less often than people doing work for larger entities with 30- 60- or 90-day net payout and nothing coming in between times, like Bruce mentions.

There are a bunch of possibilities, even Rizzutti and a host of others are borrowing ideas they get from others in the business, buy books on areas to market that are not totally saturated with a dozen, or more, video producers all fighting for the same client.

I recently ran a post with a poll (poetic huh ;-) asking the Videomaker forum members and readers who DON'T always post to participate and give us all a better perception of the KINDS of video producers we have coming here. I'd LIKE to see more responses as there are WAY MORE than the 49 so far, but even the numbers and responses it has received makes for an interesting insight into our video production community on the whole.

There are ALL KINDS OF US, and each has her or his preference. Some, by design, NEVER seek to do much more than feed a hobby (or addiction ;-) or simply make enough to fund their favorite personal activity; others want to create masterpieces and "Hulk smash" the concept of income; the few, the proud and the desperate (or not) among us are in this to create, develop and sustain a viable business model.

Regardless, we all need to focus on establishing exactly WHAT we want, individually, to do in video, determine if that market is over-saturated, then make hard choices on trying to compete via quality, quantity or money, whatever, and get with the marketing.

There's a misconception that SEO and the website alone are all it takes to get things happening, make the phones ring or gain a flood of e-mail responses, shopping cart sales, etc. A website is just the tip of the iceberg, with the bulk of marketing effort under the surface that includes efforts ranging from QR code use, to direct-mail postcard campaigns, to, "GASP!" telemarketing and cold calls on the businesses and people we want to reach.

Of course, if you're rich, just spend all your money on HUGE mass direct-mail campaigns and expensive magazine, newspaper and social site or Google and Facebook ads. Yeah. Right.

John Sachanda's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I think Earl nailed it. Practicing fundemental business development techniques leads to business success. I'd like to see more solid examples of those techniques. I checked out YouTube to see what I could find and found the videobusinesscoach channel. I am not endorsing it, but this guy seems to provide some legitimate advice. Check it out if you want. I look forward to other examples of video business development startegies.

http://www.youtube.com/user/videobusinesscoach?feature=watch

Anonymous (not verified)

Thanks for the video.

I think that if you are in a position to pick and choose who you work with in order to ensure they pay you properly; more power to ya! But the reality for a lot of people is as Ed said; "adapt or die". People are obviouly accepting poor quality products as long as they're free (or at least cheap) so what to do except to play ball?