You are here

Confused young girls need help too!...:(

Redwookieaz's picture

Sorry for the title guys but just wanted my question answered and myself saved from wondering all the live long day soo...Hi all. New here and love the site! So I run a small video dept at a recording studio and just offer some basic video services. I have a question concerning options on cams. I have a thermal camera with an analog out on it. I would like to record the outgoing video and also pick up a nice handy camcorder at the same time. Ideally I'd like to do a high def, hard drive cam with an analog video in. It would also be great if it were small and easy to handle. Like a canon SF-11 type camera would be great if it had analog in. ot as concerned with price as I am with those features. Am i just asking for a non existant package guys? I would like to avoid using tape like miniDV or anything cuz I need a small easy package for trekking and the like and would like to go straight from the analog thermal camera to a hard drive. A nice small camcorder again would also be nice for recording as well. Any ideas guys? Um I'd prefer to do it that way but is there a hard drive rig that can capture directly from an analog camera component cable if I can't find a camera to fit the bill? Thanks for any help guys!

The shooter's picture

Well if your camcorder has a composite in, wich should be simple to find, you can buy a converter from analog to composite. I know that this isn't HD, but your analog won't be anyways. These converters can be found easily, i know walmart has some.

Hope this help...

Antoine

Redwookieaz's picture

Well thanks for your help Mr. the Shooter. I don't think I follow what you are saying unfortunately. I haven't bought a camcorder yet as I am asking which one would be high def, hdd, and have some sort of analog in for video. I am actually not concerned with the type of analog in as long as it has one. I don't think it would necessarily be a pass through that's even required as I'm wanting to do the capture via the hdd camcorder from the camcorder anyway. The thermal camera is just a camera and has no storage capacity. So yeah still not following me thinks? Thank you though... Hmmm....anybody else or some clarification? Theenks!

What would I do?....

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Red,

Unless you're looking to record to tape, there are few if any consumer grade cameras using solid-state recording that have analog inputs. You're best bet is to stick with tape based cameras or a tape based portable video recorder. As shooter mentioned, the thermal footage won't be HD anyway unless you shot the footage with an HD capable IR camera. Your XL2 will be just fine and if need be, the footage can be put into an HD timeline depending on what software you edit with. Your XL2 has more than enough analog connections to get you going.

Be advised, your post concerning using thermal imaging is throwing up red flags. Though there are plenty of creative and industrial uses, these days someone looking to use thermal imaging is up to no good. Don't be surprised if your boss at the studio you work at gets a call about this.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com