You are here

600D Audio Setup

Anonymous (not verified)

Hi everyone, new here and hoping some people who have used a Cannon 600D to film can help.

I've had my 600D for a while and I love it. The audio issues are a nightmare though. So far I've been able to use the internalmicbecause I've been filming in my home studio, but I'm on the verge of starting a project that will see me go on location.

I've tried some external microphones, I've tried downloading Magic Lantern (butaudiodoesn't seem to be fixed for the 600D yet), and I've tried playing with the settings. Thus far not much success.

So my question is this: What Microphone/setup should I get?

This is what I will need:

- I'll be doing interviews so at times will need two people's audio

- Sometimes it will be in a location with background noise (outside, coffee shopetc)

- Some general shooting outdoors

What are your thoughts? Will a boommicwork, or a rodeomicto mount the top of the camera be better?

Or should I look at a few lapel microphones, and if so, what else is needed to connect twomicsto the camera at one go. Does it need some hardware, a simple adapter,etcetc???

I suppose I'm hoping someone who shoots video with the 600D can offer me the setup they use. I don't have a huge budget, but now is the time to find out whether I can do this all for a free with some workarounds,for $100, $200,etc

Any help to a poor newbie would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Matthew

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

Hi Matthew - sadly, the T3i's internal audio is almost hopeless because of its automatic gain control (AGC). Your only real option is an external recorder and syncing your sound in post with something like Pluraleyes. For a filmmaker doing interviews on a budget, I recommend a couple of decent XLR lavs like the Shure SM93 and a Tascam DR-40 with XLR inputs and phantom power.

My camera has a little better control of in-camera audio than the T3i - but I still use a DR-40 and lavs for interviews.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Anonymous (not verified)

There are audio go-between devices that will allow you to plug high-quality XLR microphones into your 1/8" camera input and bypass the noisy pre-amps and automatic gain. Take a look at this video as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n9lEoV3dSb4

As for mic choices, the general rule is it's better to have a $50 1 foot away than a $500 microphone 5 feet away. There are lot's of other factors to consider (indoor vs. outdoor use, capture pattern, etc.) If budget is key, you can forget about a wireless...the decent ones start at $500. For that price, you can get some wonderful small diaphragm condenser mics (pencil mics) or a reasonable quality shotgun mic.

jconnor's picture
Plus Member

Your youTube link comes back with a message that the video is Private see below

This video is private.Sorry about that.

Dion Burry's picture

I purchased the Rode Videomic Pro for $200.00 for my T3i and it has made a huge difference in the quality of my audio compared to the internal mic and I've used it both indoors and outdoors. I've never used lavs before but it would make sense if you want two people hooked up. Something else I've done is made my own boom pole so that I can attach my external mic, but then you would need someone to hold it and be close enough to both people.  Good luck with it:)

youtubeforbusiness.tv's picture

For interviews where background noise is an issue consider using 2 Lavalier mics one per person (Audio-Technica ATR-3350 $25 amazon) run into the camera using a 3.5mm Stereo Plug Male to 2 x 3.5mm Mono Jack Audio Adapter Splitter ($2-3 Ebay) this would have the advantage of recording each of the two speakers on their own channel.  I dont know what edit software your using but my adobe premiere pro will let me detach the audio from the video and split thestereo into two mono audio channels this will be an enormous advantage during post production.for mixing & EQ

Just my 2cents ~ pete

Peter FitzGerald,

www.youtubeforbusiness.tv
Cost effective, creative and engaging video production for small business

shaynewillis's picture

Starting with the actual video quality, the EOS 600D / T3i gives you have the choice of filming at either 1920x1080, 1280x720 or 640x480 pixels.

For Lighting rental Los Angeles, Visit Here.

dellwovideo's picture

The T3i does have manual audio controls but you can't monitor them while you shoot.

I use a Beachtek XLR adaptor that works well with my wireless mic but not so much with my Azden SGM-2. I've read the pre-amps in the T3i are somewhat weak and that may account for my poor shotgon mic performance (it inexplicably cuts out although the battery is testing as being very good and used multiple cables.) I've not thoroughly tested the mic with other devices but a cursory look at my setup shows no other issues.

I have gone to a Zoom audio recorder for recording audio. I have the H2n but wish I had stepped up to the H4n to start with. Oh well, th H2n still does the job it's designed for. It just has to be used in conjunction with the Beachtek for XLR inputs.