You are here

3D video Japanese Garden

3DMOVIEMAN's picture

Here is the latest stereoscopic 3D video I put up on YouTube. It's a montage of some still I took @ the Mizumoto Japanese Stroll Garden in Springfield Missouri USA. The camera was a Sony 3D Bloggie and the video was edited with Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus HD. Questions & comments are welcome (you will probably get a faster response if you ask on YouTube) Have fun watching ;)

Ryan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG_GE3iENUo

Moab Man's picture

This is the first time I have looked at one of these "3D" videos. I can say I do not like it. Makes my head and eyes hurt. Some of the images lend themselves very well to the 3D effect. Others are more 2D and the switching of my eyes between what appears 2D to what appears 3D does not feel good.

Neat to see but I will not be watching any more of these.

3DMOVIEMAN's picture

I actually took great care to make sure all the images were properly aligned together and so far the response to the 3D has been very positive. There is however a small percentage of the population that just can't see 3D (I think the term is stereo blind) Thanks for watching though, I'm sorry the 3D didn't work for you. For anyone else who doesn't have 3D glasses or can't see 3D images you can press the 3D button below the video and click the option to turn the 3D off, then you can still enjoy the video in regular 2D.

pseudosafari's picture

can someone explain to me what the side by side images are? i don't see how that's 3D. when i click on the video, it takes me to Youtube where it's the traditional 3D that requires glasses. I watched that, and I liked it. but ocassionally I see these side by side images claiming to be 3D and I don't understand that. how am i supposed to watch those?

3DMOVIEMAN's picture

The side by side images are different views from the two lenses of a 3d camera, if you look closely you'll notice each of the images is slightly different. What YouTube does is combine the 2 images into 1 stereoscopic picture via their 3d player. The YT3D player outputs the picture in various 3d formats such as anaglyph (red/blue) or line polarized (for 3D polarized monitors that use REALD glasses). When you initially upload to YouTube their encoder takes a still image for the video which is going to be of the side by side images before they are processed by the player. If anything isn't clear let me know ;)

doublehamm's picture

You can also view a smaller window of it playing from a bit of a distance and cross your eyes ;) I have a panasonic 3D camera, don't use the 3D as much as I thought I would though.

artsmith's picture

I am assuming '3Dmovieman', that this uses the 'Magix' alternative system with two portrait-format side-by-side images being viewed. I have the software, and have pondered the implications of the 'blurb'. In fact, I have located two identical camcorders for sale locally and am preparing to make an 'offer-they-can't refuse', bearing in mind that the original 'retails' were at least fifty-percent higher than the international marketwould have thought acceptable. (A common problem in New Zealand). I have made my own costing, based upon a realistic appraisal of what the camcorders would be worth to me, which with no'returns' (they are sale-price items but unpacked and unused),and other considerations, is one third of the original retail, bought as a 'pair'.

I understand that the system you are using, is that least likely to stuff-up camcorder definition.I don't like the anaglyphic principle, and as for red/blue glasses, forget it. It's the aspect-ratio which is the problem with these side-by-side images.I first considered 'Stereo-3D' in the 1970's. Couldn't afford a second 'Bolex' Reflex in 16mm,(especially when I could barely afford to 'feed' the one I already used), but I did succeed in making the 'glasses', with twopolarising lenses from sheet material,one eyeusing vertically oriented polarisation, the other eye 'horizontal'. Then the scheme became side-tracked and the glasses were finally used at the odd party, placed over the blinkers of someone who had,perhaps, had 'one-too-many', whereby they could be persuaded into thinking they really were 'seeing-things'. A friend of mine won international awards, including one at Cannes, for featuresconsisting of frame-by-frame recording of the growth of various crystals under polarised light. They were shot with the only cine-camera I think, he ever owned, a little French 'Pathe' 8mm purchased just after WW2; a brand which no one else would 'touch' apparently. In Arthur's hands, it produced sheer 'magic'. So much for 'conventional wisdom'.

3DMOVIEMAN's picture

@doublehamm Yes I often view side by side images cross eyed as well. It's a shame you're not putting that Panasonic 3D camera to use, there isn't nearly enough 3D content out there.

@IanJamesSmith The half side by side images are displayed (by the YT3D player or 3DTV) as full width (16:9) after being processed by the player. Magix MEP17+HD can import, sync, align and combine two HD videos into a side by side 3D video suitable for upload to YouTube or display on a 3D television. I prefer the ease of using a pre made 3D camera but a two camera rig can yield very nice results. Your friend Arthur understood something few video makers do these days, it's not equipment, it's inspiration ;)

pseudosafari's picture

3DMOVIEMAN thanks for the info. Just so I'm clear, it's not meant to be viewed in that side by side mode, then, right?

3DMOVIEMAN's picture

@psuedosafari For some reason the 3D player didn't embed in the forum, so if you click on the video it will take you to YouTube where there will be a 3D button right below the video so you can choose which viewing method you want. I think the default for the 3D player is anaglyph (red/blue) I would say most people would want to view it with colored glasses or on a 3D monitor. So I guess the short answer to your question is no.