You are here

1080p

oldnick's picture

Complete noob, here. Well I did use a Vidcam in the analogue tape days....just for playing about.

I have a Panasonic HDC-HS700, which can take 1080 50p video. However there are dire warnings about a lot of stuff not being able to handle this format and that I need the bundled software to deal with it...and then talk of up to 20 hours for every hour of video, to convert to mere mortals' standards.

What I would like to know is, is it that bad? By using it, am I just creating a really high quality video that I can't use anywhere?

Thanks for any help

Nick

Gregory Watts's picture

"My word Bones what have I heard?"

Sounds like someone has put the scare monkey on your back. OK .mts is an extremely high quality format that is becoming th new standard (bout' time) and yes many, many low end consumer low budget NLE do not support that format, in fact I know of only two that did at the beginning of the year Adobe's under $100 NLE and Videostudio X4. That said more may have been released. "20 hours for ever hour of video to convert" my word man what time place is you friend from? When did he buy his last computer? 1995? 20 hours, does your friends have an elevator to the moon and sit around eating cheese? No just kidding. Really this is hard to believe that someone is telling stories like this. But it is all smoke. A good NLE and good hardware will convert and render in no time flat. For a 1 hour rendering (not converting rendering a finished product is quite another story, research it) that is very involved has taken me about 4 hours, but that was when I was mixing formats, I not render formats into the same format then work and render which speeds up the process. But it sounds like these people who have told you this stuff may be family??? hoping you will not take their video???

Have fun you will enjoy your new hobby.

"A Photo Captures but a Moment in Time: Video Captures a Lifetime in a Moment"

oldnick's picture

OK. Thanks for the reply.

All sarcasm aside (and I take it well because your answer _is_ helpful :) ) the source of the lack of supporting software and the 20 hours were from the Panasonic manual, not from any friend (manuals are never really your friend are they!)

OK. Thanks. deliberately taking "rubbish" atm, just to get into techniques of shooting watchable video and decent editing. So I will shoot 1080 50p and see how it goes.

Nick

Gregory Watts's picture

@Nick Sorry for sounding sarcastic, I was in fact trying to be funny, lifting some lines from Star Trek. My wife tells me not to try to be funny because it comes out all wrong. This is why I shoot only drama and documentaries and docu-dramas. I can't pull off funny.

Manuals can be the most misleading source of information but they must be read. RTM is the first rule in our house for a new item, but RTM with a grain of salt. In nearly every case the manual is written for the most low end extreme conditions that the buyer may be found in so expectations are not set too high by the customer. Some of the things I have done with cameras, computers, and my NLE VSX4 went beyond what the manual said could be done. This is the creative part.

But again I apologize for coming across sarcastic. Thanks for helping me stay "focused".

"A Photo Captures but a Moment in Time: Video Captures a Lifetime in a Moment"

roblewis56's picture

I have a Panasonic HDC HS700 and shoot in 1080/60P. I edit with Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 Ultra and produce in MPEG4 at 60 fps with no problem. The result plays on my laptop and TV with extraordinary results. Rendering times are very reasonable.

oldnick's picture

@Tasana Studios No worries about the sarky. It looked mild at worst and actually did give a chuckle and no offence.

Never read manuals. Unless I have to. Actually with the Panasonic it was useful, because there were new terms, different from still shooting.

@ roblwis56

You use PowerDirector! I tried 10 yesterday and found it too hidebound, I assume kin the name of "Simplicity". It would only accept 4:3 or 16:9, and if the video was anything else (I was trying with wtv files that are weird) it wanted to stretch or adapt etc. It also wanted hardware processing on, for any but the lowest of qualities.