Video creation is sometimes a singular business, but video producers are a social lot. Our curiosity about our readers has inspired us to create this new column to introduce you to your fellow video producers.
Name: Jorge A. Santana
Cameras: Canon GL2, Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3
Editing Platform:iMac 24" and a MacBook Pro using Final Cut and iMovie
Support Gear: Slik Able 300 DX
YouTube Channel: armsantana
A year before retiring, after 37 years as a college Spanish professor at California State University, Sacramento (CSUS), I decided to take a few video production classes to make this one of my post-retirement hobbies. During my academic career I took many student groups traveling to foreign countries and always carried my cameras with me. First, it was a still camera, than a heavy porta-pak VHS and lately a camcorder. During my years teaching I was asked to teach a distance-learning class that was televised throughout the region and I saw the potential that TV could have in the educational process. I always used visual aids in my teaching and saw the value that audio-visual materials had on my students.
In 1972 I began showing 16mm films and with time these evolved to DVDs. Towards the end of my career at the university I used the internet and YouTube specifically, to supplement my Mexican Culture classes. Students were in awe when I talked, for example, of the Mexican Revolution, and was able to show YouTube clips of Emiliano Zapata's funeral. History almost came to life!
Start Your FREE Trial Plus Membership To View This Article
Why Become a Plus Member?
As a Plus Member, you'll enjoy:
- Exclusive access to 1,000s of articles, tips, and videos
- Unlimited access to Videomaker Tips & Tricks video series
- Special contests and monthly drawings
- Members only eLetters
- Early online access to the current issue of Videomaker Magazine
- Members only discounts on Videomaker merchandise and more
- Priority status at Videomaker events
- The Expert Hotline: direct email access to our editors. Get answers to questions about any video subject